Air Filter Latest

Looking I see that the filters for the Blue monster are much cheaper $158 for a pack of 12 or a six pack for $70 looking about And the carbon filter $177 for a pack of four

1 Like

I was mostly cutting oak plywood when I started and eventually it ended up choking Puff to death, though I was late in figuring out how to clean properly, and about magnets. Since Puffette has arrived I have done almost no oak plywood and almost all Maple, Paduk, Walnut with Mahogany and Zebrawood treated gently as to not burn them up and the amount of crud is less that one big oak plywood job.

??? There are a lot of things in this world that I don’t know. But it’s rare that I come across something that still doesn’t make sense after thinking about it. Clearly this is one.

3 Likes

My Vivosun 4" inline fan runs most of the time and is very quiet, but in so doing pulls air through the Gloforge exhaust spinning the fan in the process. I’m not sure of the good or bad of it, but no bad has reached up and bit me as yet.

I would imagine the idea is for the filter to pull particles through the mesh and disperse them more gradually into ambient air, or along later stages of the filter.

Since users are reporting full clogging of the first half of the filter and a clean looking second half, this makes sense as a viable option. Particulate matter is experiencing cohesion (sticking to itself) and clogging the already small openings in the filter. Keep hitting air against those clogs, and some of them may break, releasing the excess particulate into the later stages of the filter.

If that is the case, then cranking the filter up to run at higher power should also serve as a life extension for the filter (prevent the initial clogging, and break clogs better when they do form).

4 Likes

I don’t know either, but that was what I assumed as well. The recommendation comes from measurements in the lab, though, so we we’re confident that it works.

If the fan is run too fast, the air won’t spend enough time in the filter, and it won’t clean as well, so we recommend starting at the slowest speed and turning it up bit by bit.

3 Likes

I would be very surprised as the HEPA filter is supposed to be extremely small holes and lots of them you might shove some collections around but I would be very surprised of they got through. That would not be the case for pre-filters as the goal would be to block everything over a moderate size without allowing the air to be blocked and holding back the larger particles so they did not jam the HEPA-filter. The Prefilters I have are 1/4 to 3/4 inches thick so the large particles sort of get caught up in a jungle without blocking air flow, while the HEPA filter is thin like paper.

Wait… The consumable is $250 per?! That’s way higher than I would have ever anticipated. And I’m guessing many, many people are going to feel the same way. No wonder the price wasn’t announced…

I’d rather spend $50 cutting a hole in my wall. That kind of expense is going to majorly eat into profit margins and make you double-think about making all those little one-off things. You’ll feel the dollars running through your head.

1 Like

FWIW, the (unreleased) Glowforge Air Filter has always had a claimed filter replacement cost of “under $300.”

4 Likes

Effective filters for fine and ultra-fine particulates are expensive. There’s no way around that.

2 Likes

So what is the latest ETA? Last I saw was September. Now the filter isn’t even on the website as an order option now. I don’t have one on order, so I would need to order when they are available.

We never expected the GF to be profitable. It’s more of a way for us to create things as gifts and tools and toys out of materials instead of paying Amazon or their ilk hundreds of dollars for crap stuff that will break quickly wrapped in blister packs.

Now please excuse me while I go pay Amazon (or their ilk) hundreds of dollars for stuff to make my GF work better. :laughing::cry:

5 Likes

Which filter? The original, glowforge filter that sits under your laser? Mine is Halloween and I received the second known Pro unit, so presumably that is the current ETA.

If you want the portable air filter they are selling, the one that sits on the floor by your glowforge, email support. I don’t recall if they can ship it outside the US. I also don’t recall the last reason given why this one isn’t in the store, but my guess is something to do with production supply.

Aren’t they in the middle of switching storefront providers?

Think that’s the rumor currently. Supported by job openings I believe.

3 years 6 months waiting for my filter. 42 months. Decided go with the Compact Filter option.

1 Like

ohhhh thats a huge inline fan, I just added a 4" one. like yours, I love overkill.
I was waiting on the filter, guess I should have been using my GF instead of it just sitting here

2 Likes

I ended up opting for the alternative external filter that GF offered which honestly has been amazing! So I’ve since eliminated the inline fan.

I stunk up the house last night so I guess my inline fan isn’t as efficient as I had hoped :frowning:

The inline fan has to have more CFM than the forge itself, or you’re likely not doing much to boost the air out the window… I made that mistake - got a fan that’s not ‘fast’ enough - so that plan is on standby at the moment…

Where in the system are you placing the pre-filters?