Air Filter Latest

@dan backwards compatibility would go a long way. The compact filter has been great, and we have a second cartridge waiting to be needed, but knowing that in the future we will always be able to get new cartridges would be clutch, especially if they are the standard filter for everyone and not a niche item for those of us who were “early adopters” of the CF.

4 Likes

Now I don’t need a filter so I don’t really have a dog in this fight, but I am curious about how they work, and the costs of using them, so I have been following all the threads.

I may be mistaken but I think the available official information on how long a filter lasts is, well, zero. It wasn’t until people started posting about their own Compact Filters that I had any idea at all of how long a filter lasted. One hour? A hundred? A thousand? It was a total mystery.

I completely understand that there are so many variables that it’s hard to give meaningful values, but there just has to be a way to get filter shoppers more information than zero information. There are too many settings and materials, right? Well, you can control the materials and settings in your estimates, because you manufacture Proofgrade.

In a thread from years ago I suggested something like this and I still don’t see any downsides… Choose one Proofgrade material, and one Proofgrade operation, and list the time for that. For example:

• Cutting Proofgrade Medium Maple Plywood with Proofgrade cut settings: 40 hours anticipated filter life
  • Engraving Proofgrade basswood hardwood with Proofgrade SD Graphics settings: 20 hours anticipated filter life

(Bias those values to 100% laser-on time, eliminating head movement between cuts, so the actual values users see are always better in reality.)

It has to be possible to make an estimate under those constraints, right? This isn’t a quantum filter that is totally unknowable until observed, is it?

Simple statistics like the ones above does not answer all of our questions, but would be a lot better than, “buy it and find out.” To put it another way… if I required a filter to use my Glowforge, I would not have a Glowforge, because the available filter cost of use information was completely inadequate.

Just my two cents. My dog isn’t in the fight, he is on the couch, but he still has opinions. About everything.

9 Likes

Hi,
How will the warranty work? Will it be the full 18 months from the time we get it? Thanks

So, if mine is currently in transit, which filter am I getting?

The warranty details for all our products are at glowforge.com/warranty.

Glowforge Air Filters are not yet available, so you’ll be receiving the Compact Filter.

2 Likes

So since you had to redesign how about dealing with some of the quirks of the original glowforge. Specifically I’m thinking add a physical ethernet port to the filter and a short range wireless AP to the base GF that you know is compatible and will provide a consistent connection. Then once the AF is forwarding packets to the GF you can add back the auto on off.

4 Likes

@dan I was just about ready to have my glow forge finally shipped with the compact filter, and then I read the update on the airfilter, and my estimated shipping date was end of October which isn’t that far away. At this point, in your opinion, which is the better filter & why? Thanks

Quite a few people selected the compact filter specifically because it was not stuck under the machine when you need to check/change the filter.

Now the official one won’t have that issue, and those who had this reason as their primary choice are going to be rather upset if the official filter is superior to the compact filter in any meaningful manner.

If there is a substantial difference, after backward compatibility adjustments, will there be any exchange program to upgrade from a CF to the GF Filter?

2 Likes

I do not understand why anyone who backed this product should be happy with this latest update. We put our money down years ago for a product that would have an integrated air filter solution. Updates in the past stated issues with DFM, but to make a call like this year later is unacceptable. The option being offered is simply an updated version of the compact filter, and that could have been provided to us years ago. I never even received an email or call about the option for the compact filter. I feel that the communication and lack of communication place a black eye on Glowforge as a brand in the EDU, and Consumer space. We signed up for and paid for an integrated solution with auto on and auto off. You could still offer this, I do not understand why you say you cannot. Glowforge could add a wireless connection to your new filter for auto on auto off, adding a lora or ble to the interface planned for the stacked filter. Glowforge took our money that would have gained interest, and you failed to deliver on your promise plain and simple. I would have been more satisfied had you provide more regular updates and discussed the development challenges more frequently openly and honestly. This is a black mark on Glowforge.

3 Likes

I get your frustrations re: expectations vs reality but I have to say I’m actually pretty happy with this resloution. Now that I’ve experienced moving a GF around the notion that I’d have to pick up the entire unit to change the filter is entirely unappealing. The GF runs quieter with the CF on and the two together are quieter than GF alone. With the CF switching between filter and venting is super easy and would not have been with the integrated filter. I don’t mind flipping an extra switch. For my purposes it’s all win win.

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! Will put it in the hopper.

1 Like

All things being equal, I’d wait for the Glowforge Air Filter.

1 Like

We don’t have any plans at this time.

The Auto on/off, filter monitoring, and integration into the UI are the only reasons I’ve waited this long. these filters are really important for running in a student space like a classroom and makerspace. Will the new GF filter have any integration? what will it look like/what are the dimensions? @dan ?

You said what I’m thinking. Feels pretty lousy.

Can you assure us that the compact filter cartridges will be available for purchase for the life of the company?

I would like to purchase a filter however each time i try it takes me to the page to order another glowforge. This seems to be the only way to get the filter per website. Anyone help with this ??

Open a thread in Problems and Support, or email them.

done lol thanks

Hilarious until the next 13.8 kDan manure truck incident occurs in your neighbourhood …