Air Filter Latest

I just got my compact air filter, I had to open it to take a look. I am kinda shocked, I could have built this and had it sit in my window and used rectangular automotive air filters as well. Thanks for 50#s of ugly steel

i don’t necessarily want to sound like a complete jerk here, but if you can do it easily and cheaper, you should. there’s a market for it and you could make good money.

but honestly, it’s not as simple as some rectangular automotive filters. just because they may look similar on the outside doesn’t mean they’re constructed the same way with the same materials.

5 Likes

I know, I was just shocked at the caulking holding the layers in place, the ribbon used as handles and cheap ass weather stripping sandwiching both ends.
If you have not gotten one of these to actually see maybe you should visit somebody’s. Not what I was expecting for what I paid. YES, I will be making my own this is rediculous when I have a shop of metalworking tools and can weld if need be.
I lack time to tinker, that is why I paid for another brilliant mind to work it out for me

1 Like

Having used it now for a couple of months, it works. You also don’t look at the innards and eventually throw them out. Not everything needs to look like the engine of a German car…

4 Likes

When will this compact filter be available to purchase on its own. It has been a couple of months since we heard anything.

Does anyone know if this delay is legally actionable? What a nightmare.

1 Like

Based on the funding structure of it and everything else, probably not.

So Frustrated!! I pushed all the Middle Schools in our District to go with GLOWFORGE. I love the machine, but we can not use it in class without a filter (and can’t vent outside)
We waited and waited for the GF filter to be released, but when they kept delaying, the District Decided we needed to go with the Compact Filter before we ran out of Grant funds.
I just got an email from GF stating that we can not GET a Compact filter and will have to wait until the GF filter is released (whenever that will be) and that they have filled all compact orders, and can not be ordered stand alone. OH AND they have paused pre-orders for the GF filter.
So now what? I guess a have a very expensive paper weight on my hands.

Maybe I can do a lesson on Customer service, and brand loyalty.

Dieter

6 Likes

Did it explain why they cannot get you a CF? Makes me a little uncomfortable since I own one…

Last update 4/17? It’s been 4 months …how about another update?

1 Like

Well I can’t get this behemoth to fit into my space so the air filter I received has to be returned UNUSED. I ordered a pro, that means I need access to the passthrough slot and how am I supposed to move this air filter around with my table if I can’t lay it underneath?

As a design question… WHY put the switch and the stupid knob on opposite sides?
I can’t even lay the stupid thing down!!!

Of course I have no idea how to return this and cancel my order. I am frustrated by the entire process, I will never again preorder anything again.

1 Like

Send an email to support@glowforge.com.

In the subject line, put “Need to exchange unused Compact filter for pre-ordered Glowforge filter”.

Explain that you have discovered that the Compact Filter is not going to work for you under the circumstances, give them a few details as to why, (doesn’t fit under table), and ask if you can return it. Be sure to specify that you want the Glowforge filter when it is ready, if you still want the Glowforge filter. Expect to pay return shipping, and possibly a restocking fee.

Then sit back and patiently wait. They might not have a procedure set up for taking back unused Compact Filters yet, and if they have to work out where to send the old one and what the pickup and shipping costs are going to be, and how to straighten out your spot in line for the Glowforge filter, it might take a while. When they have worked out all the details, they’ll contact you and tell you what the next steps are going to be. (Just don’t expect it to happen in three days. Sending additional emails is going to slow down the resolution based on how the ticketing process works, so try to hold off if you can.)

5 Likes

Thanks Jules I am so frustrated, my workspace looks like a cyclone tore thru here I can’t do anything. So now I am going to rework my current inline exhaust fan and duct work yet again and add a pre filter or filter box to my window vent.

Yeah, I had to rearrange a few things too. (Couple of times.)

Are you venting outside though? Why do you need a filter? Are you in an apartment or condo?

1 Like

Hi @xkgix I am reworking my vent again and could really use some advice.
I am looking at a higher CFM fan and particulate filters I can change in line from the GF to my window.
Looks like you used an 8" exhaust vent reduced to 4" is that correct.
Thats a huge fan, mind sharing which one you bought and are you happy with the results?

I might go with a hangar hose so I can swing out my pro and not have to rework my exhaust each time.

1 Like

The one I was using was a 6" to 4". Seemed to work well when I used it. It was a Sunlight 6" duct in line blower model 736435. You can typically pick a used one up for cheap.

I use the external floor filter now which works even better :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the update, can you please post dimensions and a rough drawing showing the positions and sizes of the inlet and exhaust ports?

The original design could obviously fit anywhere the Glowforge could - but with something more like the compact air filter there will be a lot of rooms/workshops where the layout may be trickier!

5 Likes

Let me get back to the team with that request - I know we have the data in CAD. I’ll see if we can extract and publish it.

5 Likes

Quick question that may have been asked already, but I can’t find the answer. With the new filter, are you able to select when you want to use it? I.E. If the weather is great and I want to use my window vent and bypass the filter, I can. Or once the new filter is installed, it must be used 100% of the time?

It’s pretty easy to switch back and forth, just takes a few minutes.

6 Likes