Air Filter Latest

I hope you are able to find a solution that you are happy with, though I doubt it.

The BBB is a private non-profit with no ability to compel. If you really feel you have been wronged by Glowforge, you should look into a complaint with the New York state consumer protection agency. The issue with that is Glowforge will have a chance to respond, and as they have documented that there were no guarantees of delivery dates, that you signed up for a pre-order for pre-production hardware, and you accepted your laser delivery in spite of being provided with both a wait and a refund option. This pretty much means that you accepted full responsibility, making it unlikely that any agency will side with you. I have worked with the New York agency on a similar complaint and they didn’t even want to get involved.

From my view, you have four options:

1. Patiently wait for the filter to be designed, manufactured, and delivered.
  2. Switch to a compact filter, another option that was provided to you by Glowforge.
  3. Purchase a third party filter.
  4. Sell your Glowforge and request a refund for the filter.

I also recommend that you take what you have learned here to heart - don’t rely on pre-production dates or designs until you have it in your hands. It is not uncommon for this type of project to either fail outright or to change considerably before it reaches production.

Good luck.

7 Likes

This is a community forum, but there are some staff here. @ben1 is an owner, not staff. Staff users are labeled.

1 Like

Are you an owner or a paid employee or both?

There are many options to consider; although I did not ask for your advice or the patronizing tone that I would not be happy with any solution.

I have a right not to be pleased with the endless delays and the designs which were could not be delivered. This is a forum and I hope others can express

their “happiness” if they are happy or this dissatirsfaction if they are dissatisfied and without being patronized.

1 Like

I am a very happy owner of a Glowforge, and waiting patiently for my filter. I also have an external exhaust option, so I am able to use it. I have no other connection to Glowforge and they have not paid me or provided any other compensation for my time on the forums.

I think you may need to go back to your dictionary; my comments don’t imply or state that I think I am superior to you.

Good luck with your pursuit of options.

2 Likes

This is an extensive discussion thread, but if you’ve followed along, you’ll know it’s likely nobody is more disappointed than the founder of this company. He expected to deliver a workable solution and has let a lot of people down.

3 Likes

I don’t think the new design is a let down as much as a required change. They found during the development that the thin, wide profile of the under-machine filter wasn’t working as it was intended, so instead of cancelling it they redesigned it into a workable solution. There is a reason every filter on the market uses a similar design. While the Glowforge under-unit filter was a good idea for a compact and more attractive option, the replacement will still work as a filter needs to.

It may be that time and technology will bring back the under-unit filter design. I hope so, but as long as I get a filter that works I am happy.

For me a let down would be giving up on the filter completely. This is of course my opinion. I am however also used to pre-production ideas and how they may turn out or not, since that is my business.

1 Like

I meant by the repeated delays, he has indicated how sorry he is on multiple occasions.

Back before the production machines were being shipped, he made similar apologies to his eager customers.

1 Like

Many of us do though. There’s nothing really groundbreaking (except for the pre-release price) in what I may get someday. The GF was ground breaking in many ways. The new filter is a disappointing 20th century solution.

3 Likes

FWIW, I just noticed https://glowforge.com/faq/tech-specs#what-is-the-estimated-lifespan-of-the-filter-cartridge has actual specs for the life of the filters.

@dan Can we get an explanation of why 1/8in plywood is so bad for the filter compared to everything else on the list? The numbers for it are almost exactly what I ran into, so I’m curious why 1/4in is so different.

1 Like

Because the core between the outer veneer is MDF, similar to draftboard, so produces a lot of particulate residue.

The thicker ply uses a different core.

3 Likes

It has to be more than that. The carbon ends up not catching odors around that time as well. I’m wondering if it has more to do with whatever adhesive bonds the layers together not lasering well.

1/8 in has MDF in the center. 1/4 has a poplar center. MDF is a horror for filters as you can see from the life difference. It quickly clogs the HEPA part of the filter that is the most expensive part.

1 Like

And they were led to believe this would be a wait measured in months, not years. That’s the frustration for many people. You can talk about pre-production orders all you want, but people were led to believe it wouldn’t be that long.

Glowforge is not responsible for the assumptions that customers make. All deadlines have been presented as estimates. With pre-order, pre-production units, you should never plan on it until you have it in your hands.

Look at all the Kickstarter projects out there that have made mainstream news for failing or being delayed. Doesn’t matter what anyone says, if it is pre-production you should expect it to be delayed. The evidence is right there for anyone to look at.

2 Likes

They don’t have a customer service department, literally

Literally, they do. They address problems and support posts here everyday.

9 Likes

Just need to vent (ha) - I do appreciate that the team is being thorough and transparent. That said, it has been 4 full years since my original order was placed. I live in a building where I absolutely need some sort of air filtration to use the machine. I am not holding my breath that it will arrive with the next stated delivery date in January. The delays are valid, always, but they are still delays. Can you at least refund shipping when they finally ship? I think we’ve been pretty patient with living through all of the R&D delays.

2 Likes

How long will the filter portions last, as they will be $250 to replace, yikes!

Is this still an accurate review of the Compact Filter? I am debating getting one but the $1k is a lot. Your reviews sounds EXACTLY what I need though.