Air Filter Latest

Depends on what you’re cutting with it. Definitely avoid MDF and Draftboard.

Lifespan Estimated Usage Chart at the link below:

Jacob,

I do stand by my review of the CompactFilter, but I would suggest potentially waiting for the new Glowforge Filter (which will be very similar to the CF, but will include PreFilter components, etc.

They are going to try and retrofit the CF, but if it is not urgent, you might want to wait for the other one, especially since it will also be floor-standing, and you will not need to move the Forge to change the consumables.

I vent when I can, but am glad to have the CF.

4 Likes

For a company that prides itself on innovation, I think you’re likely BETTER copywriters. The apologies offered are statements that anyone could write about ANY product. It is unreasonable to expect customers to wait 4 years for a product they PAID for. An innovative company would have FOUND a solution long ago…and I don’t mean that crappy alternative you’ve offered.

“I am so disappointed and sorry that we weren’t able to deliver on the design we originally planned.” You seem to be really good at saying that Dan…but honestly they’re just words without substance. If this was a $50 product or even a $200 it would be one thing…but it’s NOT. Every time I log in to check status…the promise date has changed again with more BS excuses. What’s the point of claiming to be committed to manufacturing a quality product if you can’t actually deliver it? Sounds more like vaporware to me (no pun intended) and deceptive advertising.

“While moving into full production, the factory had a production delay that means we have had to adjust delivery dates. Glowforge Air Filters are now scheduled to arrive starting in November 2019.”
Of course they did. My account is now showing December 27th…others even later. Guess that means that Dan will be here telling us the next issue causing delays late November or early December.

I AM happy with my Glowforge…it has performed as promised. But the company, from a reliability point of view, is disappointing at best. Where is the accountability?

2 Likes

Are we earning interest or dividends on our air filter delay loan?

5 Likes

For what it’s worth, mine still has a November date. I believe I ordered very early in the campaign.

1 Like

In a way. Your pre-order provided you with a pretty significant discount over retail. The value between the price you paid up front and the retail price at the time you receive your filter is the value you earned by pre-ordering it. Based on the price I paid, I am happy to continue to wait on the filter.

2 Likes

This process is quickly undermining any trust I have left for Glowforge, and these posts raise more questions than they answer. The issue has been going on so long I request whomever is making these posts to include the year with EVERY date.

What does "20% longer mean? I never saw any stats about what filter life could be expected in the first place so 20% longer has no context and could be completely made up.

Nobody should choose the “Compact Filter” option. Last year we needed a filter for a large event where I’d be showing off our Glowforge to thousands of kids. The nice customer service folks sent us the floor standing model as a loaner. It never did the job correctly and any time we used it the room filled up with smoke. Yes, even when they gave us the software update and we toggled it on. I can provide videos.

At this point it seems like nobody has received a working filter and I begin to wonder if they ever will. If you have seen or used a working Glowforge filter please let me know.

At this point I’d really rather just have the money we spent for a filter applied to a credit for Proofgrade materials; at least then we might actually receive something that does what is claimed in a timely fashion.

I do have to state that the customer service folks have been reasonably good to deal with, and are probably the only reason I haven’t completely given up on everything related to Glowforge.

1 Like

What was your experience with the CompactFilter? Can you provide a link?

We tried one out and it completely failed to perform. Every time we used it our room filled up with smoke.

I’ve had great luck with it - in fact, I only have the CF hooked up right now. For large projects, typically switch to Venting, but for relatives small - and any Acryllic projects - I use the CF.

Now, my use it basically for hobby and small projects around the house, but I have had great success with it. You should adjust the “volume” on it accordingly as it is used - and higher levels as the filter fills over time. You should also run the filter for as long AFTER each job as you used it during the job.

I’m glad I got it, but you do need to realize that venting may be better if you are doing a lot of work, especially with Draftboard.

BTW, at least some of the JOANN stores locations that have 'Forges are using the CF.

2 Likes

Just ask for a refund on your filter. They will process it and refund it to you.

It sounds like you may not have had it configured correctly. If you know it was configured correctly it was likely in need of a new filter set.

1 Like

When we first tried using the filter it wasn’t configured correctly, but we changed things and the little toggle appeared and eventually they assured us we had everything worked out.

At this point we’ve replaced a window and added in a vent hole so we will only really need a filter when we take it on the road to off-site locations.

This seems unfair. Lots of people have the compact filter, I’ve seen plenty of posts on the forum. Even the ones complaining that it fills up faster than they’d like aren’t saying the filter doesn’t work.

I have been waffling about canceling my order since I have my Glowforge vented outside. But I’ve decided to wait for it after all. It might come in handy if I have to operate my machine in a different location.

I placed my order in the first hour Glowforges went on sale, and I’ve been here for the whole bumpy ride. The stats page says I’ve read nearly 150,000 forum posts, and posted 2,000 of my own. (And that’s nothing, there are lots of way more active people) One thing I’m confident of at this point is that there’s no scamming or cheating or outright lying on Glowforge’s part. They’re not trying to get away with faking filters that don’t work.

9 Likes

The Compact Filter as it is now works fine if you are looking for a mobile setup for your Glowforge. I used it enough to go through 3 cartridges, all wood engraving/cutting. Even by their own numbers you get a minimum of around 20-30hrs of life on the filter for the worst materials, and close to 10x that for better materials.

The downsides are expensive cartridges with a high cost per minute (although cheaper than other brands of very similar small filters), very sensitive to materials because of the lack of high-quality pre-filters (big units have 1 step down from hepa as a pre-filter), and the unit is just an analog motor so if the filter fills up suddenly (which happens) you get smoke with no warning.

A big unit will cost you $3k up front and not be mobile, but cost you half as much in filters per minute and not have the other headaches. It all depends on what you need, but the Compact Filter does work pretty well for certain uses.

4 Likes

Just received my Your Air filter is ready E-mail. But mY life is in limbo with a pending move so I have to delay this time. so have faith people.

4 Likes

That’s where I am. It’s sunk money now so it’s not a financial decision anymore. Being able to use it if I take it somewhere like a library, school or MakerFaire (indoor) is what’s keeping me from cancelling it now. Fortunately I’ve been pushed out another couple/three months so I’ll be able to see what the experience of early recipients is before I have to commit.

2 Likes

I’m glad yours worked. The one they sent us was truly horrible and never worked correctly.

I got my air filter last week and set it up today and I have to say that I am super impressed at the smell elimination. I had been venting directly outside (had a dryer vent installed when I got my unit a couple of years ago) but I was still getting a lot of smell coming out of the machine when the job had completed and the internal GF fan had powered down. Now, with the filter attached, I am getting virtually no smell after running 12 separate small acrylic jobs. I will now no longer be getting “the look” from the husband when he walks in the house and tells me with his eyes that he knows I’ve been using the laser and that I’ve stunk up the whole downstairs. It was a damn long wait but I’m glad I stuck it out and am very happy to finally have it. Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to deliver on this!

15 Likes

I think mine is up for replacement, right?

. I guess it helped but I didn’t expect it fill up that fast.

1 Like

It will need to be replaced when dialing the speed all the way up still allows wisps of smoke to seep out from the lid and it fails to draw the smoke out of the machine.

Don’t cut draftboard using the filter. It clogs it quickly and you’ll need to replace the cartridge.

1 Like