Air Filter Working?

I’m on my second cut. (First cut was a test run from Glowforge design) and I notice there is a lot of smoke in the machine and around it. I purchase the Glowforge air filter that this is connected to but how do I know the air filter is properly working? Is it normal to have this much smoke? I am only cutting no engraving.

1 Like

Did you turn the filter on using both the main power switch and the dial on the front of the cabinet?

2 Likes

You must make sure that the filter toggle is switched on in the interface and that the dial for the filter is turn up. Once you power on the filter and turn the dial to the right you should hear the fan working. If you don’t hear something it isn’t working. Your machine should not be filled with smoke.

1 Like

Hi there. I’m sorry to hear that you ran into issues with your Glowforge Air Filter, and smoke not being extracted from the unit as it tried to print. I can gladly help you troubleshoot this so you can print without any concern or issues with smoke or fumes.

When your Glowforge and Compact Filter are properly set up, you may have some harmless odor during printing which will rapidly dissipate. You may also smell something when you open the Glowforge lid after a print is complete. This is not harmful.

However, if you notice a strong, unpleasant or irritating odor when printing, or see smoke, shut off your Glowforge unit immediately. Smoke and fumes could be entering the room in excessive concentrations.

We’ve created a troubleshooting guide with illustrations. You can see it here: https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034142593-Excessive-Smoke-or-Fumes-During-Print

Can you try running through the steps in the support link above and let me know if it continues to any issues with excessive smoke inside and/or around the printer? I’ll look forward to any updates. Thank you!