Air Filters, question about the need

That’s it. Rank stuff. I stopped using extruded a long time ago.

BTW, you can get paint to make your own mirrored acrylic. Krylon & others sell it. A handy tip is to put a final coat of black on the mirroring paint to make it really pop.

5 Likes

Oh yeah. I didn’t word that properly. Get lots of smoke with most things that I cut. It’s just after the cut and fans have stopped, I lift the lid, then the board, and underneath a bunch of smoke wafts up from the bed. Far more with the MDF than the Proofgrade. Which is why would want the fans to run another 10-20 seconds more than they do now and stop if I lifted the lid.

Ah. Okay. Then I’m probably not experiencing higher smoke levels than everyone else. But I still have to check to see if there’s anything in the flexi hose like Takitus mentioned.

Otherwise I see the same behavior you do. MDF seems to be a particular culprit which I always attributed to it being almost all burnable - there’s no real “air” in it like there is with wood & ply between the fibers &/or layers. It’s denser and all that density burns under the laser.

1 Like

You could always sell the filter after to those that ordered basics w/o the filter…

Hopperized! (cc @tony)

3 Likes

Please note that not all filters work the same way and not all remove the same contaminants.

6 Likes

Good point, thanks! I’ll double check what ours exactly does, but it is a big unit, and I’m sure the Glowforge doesn’t create anything as toxic as comes from polishing jewelry, or rhodium plating.

3 Likes

My installation solves that issue, it required 2booster fans for the 30’ of duct run and 4 elbows.
The 4 feet of flex hose required to allow the pull-out shelf connects directly to the first one, and it runs continuously so even after the forge fans stop the machine is still evacuated.

So because mine required 2 $60 booster fans, the evacuation and cooling are enhanced.
From the reports of lingering smoke I suspect even short runs would benefit from a booster.

10 Likes