Alignment with printed Elements with Aura?

I’m using an Aura and would like to cut some parts out of cardstock that are preprinted color elements.
I place my sheet, let it grab a photo and then move my shapes to cut nicely lined up with the shapes to cut. When I hit print every shape moves by some amount once it finishes processing.
Am I missing a step?

Thanks!

1 Like

Under the 3 dots on the top menu choose “Set Focus” before placing your art on the paper.

10 Likes

Is there a camera calibration for the Aura like there is for the larger Pro/Plus/Basic machines?

After I ran that calibration my camera on my Plus was very accurate.

4 Likes

Precise placement is dependent on proper focus, so be sure to use the Set Focus once your material is on the bed.

8 Likes

Using the “set focus” button is essential, as the camera image is scaled according to how far the object is from the camera, and this button makes the machine measure that distance. Without it, the image gets scaled AFTER you hit the print button, when you’ve already lined up the design against an inaccurate photo.

Aside from that, you could add a single line outside all those shapes you want to cut. Maybe right along the left edge of the paper. Set all the other shapes to “ignore” and score just the line at 1 power. If it doesn’t score right along the edge of the paper, you can select everything and move it left/right accordingly to adjust for the difference between where it was placed on screen and where it scored on the actual paper.

10 Likes

Oooooh! Thanks all!

4 Likes

One more question? Can I adjust the image from the camera to have higher contrast? Some of the elements are orange and do not show up in the image and are hard to align.

2 Likes

Under the three dots in the interface, select preferences and you can change the colors used in the interface.

9 Likes

Great advice here, check #15 for more details.

7 Likes

Actually. Me again, that doesn’t seem to work. I set the focus, and aligned the art, and everything looks good. (First image)
The print does not match my placement. (Second image is the view after I canceled the job and its alignment.)
I’m using cardstock and set it to that as a material, so the thickness should be ok.

But I’ll keep poking at it.

3 Likes

Another way to approach this if you did the printing. Is to force everything to 00. And then use my Aura zero tool to place the paper.

8 Likes

After you cancel the view goes back to a default - ignoring your Set Focus.

Edit your art so one of the cut lines is a different colour.
Place your medium into the machine.
Place a piece of masking tape, or something sticky over the section that coincides with the line you made a different colour.
Use Set Focus in to top left corner.
Place your design in the GFUI in the top left corner.
Change your cut setting ignore for everything except the one piece that’s a different colour.
Set that one to a low power/high speed (1/100).
Hit print.
Go look at your tape and see where the very slight lines are - are they lined up? Great.
Go back and set everything to Cut normally
Do not change anything else
Hit Print.

If no, adjust everything based on that one being off (move everything up/down/left/right by a few clicks - I find a single click to be about 1/32 of an inch.
Send it again.

7 Likes

But don’t open the lid or you need to start all over again.

3 Likes

As long as you don’t bump anything, you don’t. I run repeat cuts after taking things out and painting or finishing them, as long as I put them back in the cut out spot and don’t bump the head it remains perfect. The screen looks like it moves, but the physical cuts/scores/engraves won’t move.

5 Likes

That’s a nice user experience improvement. Too bad they can’t retrofit it to the CO2 laser line.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll try this.

I did notice that when I moved everything to the upper left corner it all lined up nearly perfectly anyway.
I, mistakenly I guess, assumed being right under the camera would give me a more exact placement. Maybe not?

2 Likes

I do it on the Glowforges all the time.

2 Likes

On the :glowforge:, dead center is the spot - I’d be surprised if that wasn’t also true on the :aura:, but it’s a significantly different machine!

Does your :aura: go to center when it first starts up? The :glowforge:s do that to identify where the head is. Maybe the :aura: doesn’t need that since it’s on rails?

Now I’m just guessing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It does.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 17 days. New replies are no longer allowed.