All finished, but no place to go…

Half a year ago or so, I decided I would like to make my own purse. I set out to identify and measure what needed to go in it (phone, credit cards, bills, fold-up straw, pen, and small pieces I’d made on the Glowforge to give away to my lunch friends and wait staff, etc. I had a no stitch requirement, as I don’t have the strength or dexterity to do so. I bought a credit card insert to make the design easier and I could use an existing purse strap. I made the clutch out of the Glowforge catalog so I could see how that came together. I looked all over Pinterest for ideas. I created several layers in Inkscape; printed draft pieces on paper or draft board; decided I could shave off some length or width. I had bought a very pretty light blue veg leather from China and I was just petrified to mess it up. I’m not good at thinking through a design in 3D; I invariably miss something.

After several weeks of agonizing, I decided I could just use a piece of proofgrade leather and consider my first run a test. That freed me up to think outside of the box. Not sure how I ended up ordering and using this fabulous sparkly paint (Angelus), but I’m thrilled with how it looks, even though it is not at all what I usually choose in a purse (plain black). I scored the pattern and carefully weeded the masked areas and painted.

The only thing that didn’t work out is the credit card insert - I didn’t measure the inside space correctly by about .25”. No matter - ordered a different insert. Now that it is all finished the irony is that we’re no longer allowed to go anywhere. My last lunch with friends was 12 days ago. So here is the only place I get to show it off for awhile!

80 Likes

That blue is stunning, Great design

3 Likes

You did a great job, and you get to stretch out the anticipation of using it!

4 Likes

A truly beautiful piece that needs showing off! :heart_eyes:

There is always skype with friends, and if you really want to be together there is always this. and you can be a 20 yr old Mermaid if you wish.

2 Likes

Gorgeous! :grinning:

2 Likes

Absolutely wonderful! You found the right audience here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, Zoom is popular - doing one tonight with the family.

1 Like

Thanks @hansepe and @jules! If only we could have lunch together as well…

4 Likes

Zoom can do that as well. just not at the same table. For that Kitely works, but then the food is not real.

1 Like

… and I can’t see myself as a 20 some mermaid… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I did meet an old woman with a cane once but as it turned out she was a very pretty blonde at 26 that did not want to be treated as a very pretty blonde. And was one of the most advanced users I have met.

2 Likes

This is one of my homes in Great Canadian Grid now gone when I lost internet for a couple months.

4 Likes

Imaginative! I can see you there…

1 Like

I knew it was gonna be good! Just a stunning purse, and I love the idea of personalizing it with a quote. You might start a new trend!

3 Likes

This is fabulous! You should be very proud of that! I get the irony…making something that would be fun to use and not being able to use it. This all too shall pass, though…and you’ll still get to carry your brand new handmade purse for the first time. As a good friend says…“pleasure deferred”. I’ve just started doing some leather stuff, too and will be posting my trial and error pieces, soon.

3 Likes

Thanks @cynd11! That’s true now that you mention it… don’t remember seeing a purse with a quote either…

1 Like

Looking forward to see what you come up with!

1 Like

The castle was huge and had many rooms and a dungeon but the main room had 4 dragons about in different modes. Each of the 5 floating mountains (I called them Pandoras) had 6 floors below with separate entrances and panoramas that looked like seperate worlds, some with houses etc inside.

The large boat had two forecabins and a two story Captain’s cabin. Off to the left in the picture was the Unicorn Conservation Area that was not assigned space but could exist if it had a fingerhold in actual space so I had a school on the far side of that took special tricks to visit.

Behind was two “water prims” mostly for boats but one had an island that went down into a maze underwater that had many free treasures that folks might find and on the other side an erupting MT Hood with a river and big Gazebo that was a common meeting place and beyond several stores where folk could buy their own stuff including mountains and landscapes. The other “Water Sim” had a great fire folk could sit around and watch the Auroras that were above all but low enough to see.

Beyond that another land like a bar /bistro with a stage for folk to do as they do on stages in real life and the far back of that a mountain with a cave that among other things had a Greek type theater.

Above everything too high to see from the land several more sim sized “skyboxes” with among other things A Chartres Labyrinth but as a long cave so you lose references easily just trying to get to the end, and find yourself back at the start. It takes a lot of focus to walk it all without getting turned about. There were a few ghostly zombies there also that did not affect anything higher up there were many more full sim skyboxes with stores and adventure or hangout places and several different theaters and Greek temple type lecture halls.

1 Like

I bet you can still walk around it in your mind.

1 Like

Very pretty. I read it twice, I promise - if not stitched, how is it assembled?

4 Likes