All in one: Glowforge enclosure, noise reduction and filter

Hello everybody,

first of all thanks to the “Glowforge” staff for creating a wonderful project.
A big thank you also goes to all of you, users of this forum, for sharing experience, tips and tricks.

I’m writing from Italy, a few kilometers far from Venice. What you are reading has been translated online by big G, be patient :wink:

Well, moving on to practical things, I living in an apartment I had to necessarily build a box that would limit the noise but at the same time manage the exhaust fumes.
Probably I got carried away a bit, many mistakes were corrected during the race, but in any case I’m satisfied with the results obtained. One above all, being able to work close to the GF.
53db when cutting and 42db on idle, measured near my desk, about 1.5 meters (5 feet) from right side of enclosure.

Some details:

The upper part consists of 3 boxes:
First 18mm of plywood and an adhesive sheet of lead rubber (10Kg/m²),

2 equal circular holes, one for the forced extraction from the engraver and one for the chamber (the last probably useless)
1 hole for the bypass
1 rectangular hole on the left for incoming air directly connected to the base of the Glowforge
1 rectangular hole on the right for additional inlet air
1 small circular hole for various cables

Second 15mm of plywood and 40mm sound-absorbing panel (100Kg/m3)

Third in plywood 10mm;

2 additional 14mm fans to ensure a good air flow inside the chamber;

The inlet ventilation (the 2 fans located at the base on the right side of the machine) was channeled using a 20mm sound-absorbing panel;

The lid is also made up of 3 levels with a total weight of 45Kg (about 100 lb);

The lower part consists of a wooden frame

with a first filter composed by 3 layers a metal meshes and double polyester filters

then a filter composed by 6kg of activated carbon

all connected to the extractor (Blauberg 20mm - 950 m3/h)

smoke extraction between the upper and lower part is guaranteed by 2 10mm pipes (the second is operated by an electric actuator)

the structure was then closed using 6 removable 10mm plywood panels and 40mm sound-absorbing panel (100Kg/m3)

all managed by a control panel connected to the electrical panel

there is still something to fix … but I was too impatient to see him at work :wink:

50 Likes

Wow - that is an amazing piece of engineering!

8 Likes

Pretty crazy setup, puts my machine sitting on a dresser to shame lol. Tempted to commission you to create a end table but i think the end result might take over the world :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: If its worth doing its worth over doing, cool end result.

6 Likes

Do you build space shuttles for a living? That enclosure is the most amazing one I’ve ever seen. Seems like it would cost more than the laser itself.

12 Likes

This looks very well though out.

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
that would be a cool job … I’m actually an insurance adjuster.

The cost of materials is approximately € 1,700 not really cheap but, considering the double function of filtration and noise reduction I would say that it is worth it.

It is also completely demountable, my studio measures 9 square meters :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

You have taken the practical cuts concept to a whole new level - dialed this up to 11. What a good neighbor you are! Now I want to know what amazing things you are making with your Glowforge.

8 Likes

Brillante!

4 Likes

Thanks to everyone for the compliments :+1:

Nothing special … I’m still getting to know the system and the materials …

16 Likes

That is one of the more impressive things I’ve ever seen.

11 Likes

That is beefy! Also a heck of a piece of engineering. Nice work!

5 Likes

What? No escutcheon! Where is the beverage holder or coasters to sit on top of it? Nice work, BTW. Would love to have that in Amsterdam. Oh well, my exhaust hose will just dangle in the Dutch winds.

8 Likes

That is fantastic! :grinning::tada::+1:

4 Likes

OK…that is amazing! An definitely my kind of build!

6 Likes

Totally amazing!

You do know that if you pull more than 350 m3/h directly out of the exhaust port of the Glowforge you can turn off that fan and get rid of most of the noise?

You need at least 350 m3/h going through the inside of the Glowforge but everything else is just extra.

You might enjoy finding his works, as in the same location he might build one of Venice’s famous buildings and you touch it and find it a place for storing wine and glasses.

3 Likes

Thanks, Thanks and Thanks :smiley:

In fact, the fan on the back has been deactivated due to the use the extractor.

As for the m3/h, we had to consider the 3 filtering levels made of metal and polyester and in addition there is the chamber with activated carbon that subtracts power from the extraction system.
Currently the extractor is set at 80% of its power ensuring an equal air flow (probably a little higher) than that generated with the original fan.

2 Likes

Woah. Great project. Thanks for the pics and write up. Just awesome.

4 Likes

Without the Glowforge exhaust fan I can barely tell it is running from the next room as I have an external fan that is adequate for any but the most smokey cuts.

1 Like

whoa! That’s crazy !! :+1:

2 Likes

5 Likes