All my fellow south Texas forgers stay safe!

Final Update: Still raining, but the Houston area will be clear of the danger of further flooding later today, and the water levels have fallen off somewhat here, so thanks to everyone for the prayers and good wishes. :hugs:

Now the cleanup starts. It will be a couple more days before it drains enough for people to start back to work, and the roads will have to be cleared. All services (mail/airports/gasoline) will be down for a while as well.

But Dallas is setting up 6000 beds to house some of the refugees whose homes were destroyed, and they are flying them in via military transports this morning. Other local areas not hit as hard by the rain bands are full up as well, and as soon as the water recedes enough to make it through, we’ll be trying to get to some of those with blankets/food/clothing and whatever else they say they need now. (We’ve seen this before but never on a scale like this. It was an 800 year flood, with 50 inches of rain in some areas. No one was expecting that, and just about everyone has been impacted in some way.)

Special thanks to the Cajun Navy, who came in a day or two ago and have spent the last two days going in and out to the neighborhoods and pulling people out. Also the National Guard, and the volunteers from other states who came in with flat bottom boats and helicopters…they have literally rescued thousands of people over the last couple of days. Wonderful, wonderful people.

Whew! Rather not do this again for a while.

14 Likes

Thanks for the update Jules! Been worrying about you.

2 Likes

Life is getting complistercated :neutral_face:…squirrel!

11 Likes

Do you think it is weened?

No. His eyes aren’t even opened, it’s an infant.

Probably won’t be able to save him - I’m bringing his body temp up slowly on a pet heating pad, but I can’t get him to a squirrel rehabilitator for a day or two at best - IF they can take him.

We’ll see what happens. I saved a couple of others (Frick and Frack) a few years ago that were about that age, but the roads weren’t all flooded. You have to get them attention within 24 hours to have a decent chance of saving them.

Update: Nope. :no_mouth:

4 Likes

:disappointed: RIP little squirrel. Glad you are ok.

3 Likes

Awwww. Thanks for trying.

1 Like

Kinda bummed. :frowning:

3 Likes

Squirrel nests don’t stand much of a chance in a hurricane. Especially that one.

2 Likes

Fortunately, you have a GF with which to etch out a fitting tombstone.

5 Likes

Don’t think I could. Not yet.

It’s been properly buried in the communal graveyard for innocents.

7 Likes