Alphabet blocks

As a gift for a friend’s first grandchild, I made her alphabet blocks. I had so much fun making these and painting them!

Assembled and treated with a coat of food-grade butcher block conditioner, I had them sitting on plastic bags while the conditioner absorbed.

50 Likes

These look awesome. I sure she was excited!!

2 Likes

Thank you! She was.

1 Like

Nice work. Did you paint them while they were still masked? If not you have a very steady hand.

1 Like

Yes, for the most part. Some things had to be painted after removing the masking, and yes, those did require a steady hand. Plus a level of tolerance to embrace the imperfections. Kept reminding myself these are toys to be played with, not showpieces. I left a few graphics entirely unpainted. My goal was to leave one or two per block unpainted, but the painting was so much fun that I kept going! And thank you.

2 Likes

Pretty cool! urn is better than undertaker for the letter U. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is a beautiful gift. Did you decide on all of the images for all of the letters, or did you look at other sets?

1 Like

Agreed! And I desperately wanted an X that wasn’t x-ray or xylophone, but alas, it wasn’t to be…

1 Like

Thank you. I chose the images. Most of them are freebies from open source (non-copyrighted) sites. I don’t think I purchased any of them. And sometimes I found out that the way they had been created was a pain to edit and achieve the print I was looking for. So a few graphics were scrapped and replaced with less high-maintenance files.

1 Like

What a gorgeous set of blocks! I’d be tempted to display them on a high shelf if they were mine.

3 Likes

Wow! Fantastic work! Those will last to be past through the ages! Nice!

2 Likes

What an incredible gift of love! Really wonderful!

2 Likes

Nice! What did you use for paint/coloring? So glossy!

1 Like

Liquitex acrylics with a couple of Martha Stewart craft paints thrown in. The pearly blue MS paint was great to mix in and create shimmery colors. It made a really nice silver to use on the moon.

Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks. The colors look great. Are they child/nontoxic?

1 Like

Yes, they are non-toxic. It took me bit to find the actual language I was looking for. When evaluating paints, look for the “AP” label and the statement that the product conforms to “ASTM D 4236.” The 4236 regulation just indicates that the packaging has properly identified all hazardous materials. The “AP” is the indication that it is an “approved product” and therefore non-toxic.

The AP is visible on a few of the tubes of paint in my photo. Thanks for asking the question…it’s an important consideration.

3 Likes

Great, thanks!

1 Like

Where would I find the pattern for the basic blank blocks. I would like to do my own letters and words.

1 Like

I used boxes.py to create a simple 2x2 closed box. Would enjoy seeing photos of your creations. Have fun with it!

Toward the end, I almost wished I had added something inside one of them, like a note or time capsule of the year. And what a year it was!

4 Likes