ALSO Stuck on "Needs Calibration"

Everything had been working fine, had a job that failed to finish and it kicked me “offline” (I thought the job was in storage internally when you get the glowing button??), I resent the job and completed it.

However, I went to do a different job, and now the machine is stuck on "Needs Calibration"with “Sorry, we’re having trouble calibrating”. I am online, but the GF does not appear to be connecting to the servers. And this all started over 12 hours ago.

The machine lights up, but there is no clicking or head movement. I centered the GF logo under the camera as other threads suggested, nothing still. I have also tried Refresh Bed Image and nothing happens, it still shows an older job on the bed, the camera will NOT refresh and show the current material.

I’ve power-cycled it multiple times. I’ve rebooted the app several times. I’ve rebooted my entire WiFi network a few times too. The GF head sits there with no movement and no sound under the internally-lighted camera (so at least I know the power works).

I’ve emailed support (no response yet, but I have an order I need to get shipped out ASAP!)

I’m trying to re-boot the Connect to WiFi step from initial setup to see if that will fix my problem, and STILL it’s giving me problems!

I’m using Google Chrome, and have WPA2 setup on my router, haven’t changed any settings since my older post a few months back when I got it working. So, I do NOT get the “Huzzah” message that connects me to the GF to my home network. I get connected, with “No Internet, open” from my connection to my GF’s wifi. So, what worked for me to get setup months ago doesn’t do squat for me now!

I’m beyond frustrated and this should have been easily avoided with a simple Ethernet Port being built into this machine.

BTW that is normal. When you are connected to the GF in setup mode, you are only connected to it and neither your computer nor the GF can reach the internet.

The big one thing here that makes it seem like something broke is that failed to finish job. The Glowforge does download the job locally and print from there. You could lose connectivity and it would show up as “offline” in the UI, but it should finish anyway. So I wonder what happened. Power sag maybe? Do you know the time of that failure to help support find it in the logs?

The rest sounds like problems with the GF being unable to maintain a solid wifi connection with the router.

Thanks for replying

When it failed to complete the job, I was able to resend and finish it a second time (I was using Acrylic from Home Depot which didn’t cut through and had to both resend the job and slow it down to cut through) and I did one more smaller job after that. I’d almost swear it doesn’t store the job locally due to what I experienced but what you’re saying and what others have posted (and I know you’re correct) just has me scratching my head wondering what glitched?

but it should finish anyway. So I wonder what happened. Power sag maybe? Do you know the time of that failure to help support find it in the logs?

Maybe if I’d left it untouched it would have resumed on its own in time? I noticed when it started that first job, the app showed me my estimated time and never counted down. The software was stuck at the 4minuteXseconds, and the head of the laser returned to it’s start position after completing about 80% of the job. The second time I ran the job the timer counted down as normal and completed 100%. I ran this job around 4am-ish Thursday morning. So, the app had glitched as well.

BTW that is normal. When you are connected to the GF in setup mode, you are only connected to it and neither your computer nor the GF can reach the internet.

I wasn’t sure if I even needed to retry this step but had figured “why not?”. But on the setup GF app screen it keeps cycling “waiting to connect” so even though my laptop (in Chrome) said I was connected, I did not get to the “Huzzah!” message (do you even get that if you’ve previously done so? I would assume so?)

The rest sounds like problems with the GF being unable to maintain a solid wifi connection with the router.

I’m leaning towards this as well, because otherwise there’s no indication the head is connecting to the cloud. Oddly, I have full bars next to my GF on my wifi and I have a wifi extender as well.

I do live in an apartment and wonder if there might be interference somewhere, and if that’s my problem, how in the world can I overcome that? Precisely why we need an Ethernet port on this multi-thousand dollar machine. I don’t know where else to turn at this point, aside from one more attempt in the dead of night when hopefully the neighbors don’t have too many devices active? Assuming that’s even the issue.

I switched laptops to an older Windows 7 laptop (was using Win10) and at least got to the “Huzzah!” screen, I redid the internet connection and STILL no luck!!

Still stuck on “Needs Calbration”, with no noise and no head movement. I honestly don’t know what to do at this point. As far as I can tell, I have internet connection (had it before and it worked fine before). But rebooting everything hasn’t solved my problem.

I wish there was a button to tell the machine to initiate calibration.

Also, the machine is not dead silent, there is the “whirrr” background hum, just not any clicking of gears or any attempt for the head to move.

Is it cold outside where you are? Is the ventilation still attached? Try detaching ventilation and waiting a few minutes for it to warm up.

Do you have a pro? If the interlock in the back of the machine is loose or not properly in place a job could fail with no warning. The head just re-parks itself. Not sure, but if the lid is not firmly seated and has an intermittent signal for being open, the same thing may happen.

Is it cold outside where you are? Is the ventilation still attached? Try detaching ventilation and waiting a few minutes for it to warm up.

Good point, but I don’t leave the ventillation attached to the outside and only hook it up when I use the GF. Temp is around 70-74 degrees in the workspace.

Do you have a pro? If the interlock in the back of the machine is loose or not properly in place a job could fail with no warning. The head just re-parks itself. Not sure, but if the lid is not firmly seated and has an intermittent signal for being open, the same thing may happen.

Yes, I have a pro. I just inspected the interlock (thanks for pointing that out) and it doesn’t feel loose and seems to be seated firmly.

As for the lid, another good point. The lights brighten when I close the lid and dim when I open it, so it appears to register as closed properly. As for the head reparking itself, it hasn’t moved since it completed the last job before no longer working. I had moved it under the camera as other threads have recommended, but it won’t engage and make any movement on its own.

Thank you for the excellent description and suggestions - I’m researching and will be in touch when I learn more.

Have you tried the:
Leave or turn off.
Gently pull the arm forward evenly with both hands.
Gently slide the head under the lid cam.
Now turn on.

Sometimes that helps jump start the calibration cycle.

When convenient, would you please reboot your Glowforge, try a print, and let me know how it goes?

1 Like

Rita

I did, and it does!! What was the problem? Did something just need to be reset on the server side? Thank you for the Christmas Miracle! It was great to come home to having it work today!

I’m so glad it’s there working for you!