Alternative product to the 3M Novec Electronic Degreaser for exhaust fan

It appears there is still a shortage on the 3M Novec Electronic Degreaser. I can’t even find it on Amazon. When I search for the 3M product this comes up. https://a.co/d/7TBF25c

BW-100 Non-Flammable Electronic Contact Cleaner Aerosol Spray

Has anyone used it or a similar non-flammable Electronic Degreaser to clean the exhaust fan?

It is commonly available from industrial supply houses like digi-key, grainger, etc.

3 Likes

Would this product work? The 3M product is $43 for 1 can with $18 shipping.

BW-100-Nonflammable-Electronic-Contact

thanks!

It would not be recommended.

shop somewhere else. Google brings up plenty of alternate vendors.

I bought a can of Novec a while ago but so far the only time I’ve cleaned my fan was just by swabbing it out from the back and vacuuming. Mainly because I don’t want to use it indoors and it’s too much trouble to move the Glowforge.

I haven’t seen a lot of positive stories about it working well either, so I’m a little apprehensive to have it cause a bigger mess. I guess my light usage keeps the fan relatively clean.

Nobody is going to give you the all-clear to use some other random product, because who knows what it will do? It might not be compatible with some of the materials in the machine. You don’t want to start dissolving the plastic or corroding a connection. You can take the manufacturer (the amazingly named buhmwoo.com, whose web site isn’t even functioning as I type this)'s word for it that it’s “safe for all …” but it’s up to you to make that call.

From a look at the data sheets, buhmwoo-100 and 3M Novec use completely different ingredients.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.