Always open

+1

1 Like

The flashback seems consistent enough to be an embellishment.
I bought one of the bases also, and liked it so much I bought a dozen. The slot is an issue, too big for 1/8th and too small for 1/4. I still have to dial in the settings for the right depth of material removal for 1/4", which I favor the looks of above the 1/8".
Nice job there! When you see the piece light up, it inspires more ideas.
Looking at the depth of the deepest engrave in 1/4" as you go up the stack, shadows could be minimized by alternating which side is engraved.

2 Likes

Isnā€™t that weird?! Enough play to make it annoying, but itā€™s not a show-stopper for me. I considered making some sort of sleeve, but I didnā€™t want to risk interfering with the light transfer.

2 Likes

I have some smoke-colored acrylic that could make a base topper with the proper slot. Otherwise, I plan on 3D printing an L-shaped shim for the back.

If I use 1/4" acrylic, Iā€™ll have to do the engrave thing.

2 Likes

Too much work for my tastes. :wink:
Maybe Iā€™ll cut some :proofgrade: veneer to fill the gap. But Iā€™ll probably just leave it alone.

1 Like

Try the slot fitting engrave on the front and the design engrave mirrored on the back. Do a jig so the front lines up with the back & your ultimate cutout. It doesnā€™t need to have a lot of precision since youā€™ll cut your shape at the end so if the engrave section is too wide youā€™re still good.

2 Likes

Yesā€¦I get those, too.

1 Like

Great minds think alike on this one. :relaxed:

1 Like

It would be INSANELY fragileā€¦ but you could have a small non-engraved bridge from the top of the ā€œmā€ to the engraved apostrophe. Almost certainly no light would get to it, but it would at least be there :). I donā€™t know if this is the same bridge you decided against, but it is better than a full bridge up from the primary border

1 Like

Thatā€™s pretty much what I had consideredā€¦and in fact never considered making it from the primary border. I will certainly be keeping these ideas in mind, going forward. This is so very much part of the funā€¦learning all these new things. Thanks very much for your input!

Whatā€™s the solution to the shadowing?

Hi, what have you found is the widest and highest you can go (of the engraved acrylic piece), while still maintaining stability while it sits in/on the led base?