An Advent Calendar

I was in the mood for a fairly large project and the idea for an advent calendar seemed to fit the bill. I had a few goals - doors and hinges not drawers, some kind of scene set in the middle of the calendar, use as much of the GF bed as I could. I also decided that since I consider myself more a node manipulator than an artist, I wanted to try something a little “artful” - maybe paint or color. And, I thought, If I get it right, maybe the design could be saleable. Who knows. So, this is how it came out…

The whole thing is birch ply, except for the piece of ice acrylic behind the tree. I put a little string of lights behind the acrylic for fun. The colors are brought to you by sharpie.

Each compartment is its own separate box with a door, Each one has a little tree handle to match, .

Yes, the box in an box uses a bit more material, but it gives the structure some nice stability and weight. Also, to reduce waste and get the grain of the wood right, the doors, scene and front frame to cover lasered edges in the front were cut from 1 piece of wood. I also reduced waste by reducing the amount of masking. I did not mask all the internal pieces or even the backs. I know this can seem to reduce the look, but I go through a bunch of tape and I decided I wanted to see how detrimental not using it would be. I don’t think it is so bad.

The lights and the ice acrylic I like a lot. I think it is a nice effect and take the project up a notch. The ice acrylic is one of my favorite materials for lighting projects.

I am not fully convinced of the coloring with ink. I made an extra that I left plain. I think I like it a little better. I am sure someone with more coloring/painting experience could really do a great job with it. I consider this area an opportunity are for me!

I think I might make another with a few tweaks and perhaps a coat of stain. We will see.

52 Likes

Great project! I love the extra details like the tree shape of the door handles. The lighting makes it especially festive.

3 Likes

Looks amazing. How many sheets of material is this

3 Likes

Thanks! It is about 7 sheets of material. Most of them are used to construct the little boxes.

4 Likes

Thanks! It feels like it is always the little details that help make it great!

3 Likes

Nice design with some fun extra touches of whimsy. I hope you will share photos of any modifications you make.

3 Likes

Thanks! I will be sure to share.

1 Like

Ah, that’s gorgeous lit up! Great calendar!

3 Likes

Thanks @Jules!

I agree. And the ice acrylic is very appropriate for this. Definitely a nice way to brighten up the project. I like the tree handles - an extra special touch.

Painting/staining the door engraves would really jazz it up and make key off the acrylic work in the center. If I had kids at home I’d make (or buy) one for Christmas. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Amazing project! Congrats!!

1 Like

Wow, very impressive! The little tree handles are a nice touch.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Thanks! it seems to be the little things that make the difference!

That came out really well! Very creative…I think you would find acrylic paint more pleasing than the sharpies, but if you are not used to it, it does take a bit of practice. I love the acrylic with the lights behind it. Thank you for sharing so many pics and describing your process!

1 Like

That is really nice.

2 Likes

wow!

2 Likes

My pleasure and Thanks! I think you might be right! Maybe I will paint another One. Worth a try!!

1 Like

Thanks!!

1 Like

Love this! The tree handles really make it special.

2 Likes