An idea - Why Not Make a CNC Head?

Not sure where to post the idea but since the head comes off so easily why not create a CNC head that could basically convert the Glowforge into a Carveforge.

1 Like

It’s been brought up, and among other issues brought up, was the fact that it DID come off so easy. You can’t create enough down force.

1 Like

Duck tape!

6 Likes

Trivial problem - a foldover clip that locked the head to the plate would be easy to implement & use. The Shopbot has a similar method of locking the power connections to the spindle.

The biggest hurdle is a Z-axis. In addition to a router you’d also have to have a mechanism to raise & lower the head (& mill). The power needs of a router are also more than the laser head so that ribbon cable won’t be sufficient for the amperage - would need heavier cabling and some sort of drag chain arrangement instead of the folding flat cable (which is an elegant approach for a laser).

2 Likes

Duct tape and bailing wire can fix anything. :grinning:

1 Like

This has some interesting perspectives on a CNC + 3D printer

The stepper motors in the glow forge are ridiculously Underpowered for a CNC machine. They are tiny nema 17 motors. Probably Under 40 oz. The stepper motors on my CNC machine are nema 23 269 oz motors and still considered a hobby machine. Putting any kind of resistance on the linear set up of the glow forge would be a disaster. And let’s say it did work. A first chunk of anything that goes flying would shatter either the lid or the laser tube.

And don’t get me wrong nema 17 Are fine for a no resistance laser head

4 Likes

There have been some attempts but it’s not worth it. For a laser cutter, you want to move the head fast and don’t need any force at all. For a CNC mill, you move the head relatively slowly and need quite a bit of force, meaning that the frame and motors need to be much more stronger and heavier. So you either end up with a very slow laser cutter or you end up with a really wimpy CNC mill. There’s also the issue that a CNC mill generates tons of powdered wood (or whatever you’re cutting) which gets everywhere unless you have a dust collection system on the milling head, which is more mass.

4 Likes

Heres my cnc

4 Likes

Well it appears that I had a really good bad idea. Thanks for the feedback!

Oh, would love to see what Red Green would do to make one!

1 Like

Another point, in case the machine not robust enough isn’t a deal breaker.
If you ever used a CNC machine you would see the problem. Messy is an understatement.

We can have problems removing smoke if things are not spanky clean.

No way would I want chips and trailing slivers (metal plastic or wood) all over inside the box. Resin build up is the current worst case.

4 Likes

First thing that popped to mind…

Yup. Note the 4" diameter dust collector line. goes straight to a dust shoe. And it’s not a large computer fan on the other end. It’s a 1.5hp DC dust collector taller than I am.

1 Like

Cnc in action!

2 Likes

On the other hand, a really high-res 3D scanner/profiler…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 32 days. New replies are no longer allowed.