And now, the moon

I have been thinking about this one for a while now and finally came up with something I like: an 18 inch glow in the dark moon for my wall.

I don’t have a pro so I just set the seam to run along the lines from the photo (Which is here if anyone wants to play along at home).

If/when I cut this again I will likely mask, cut , then peel and engrave. The smoke damage seemed to fuse with the paint and got a bit muddy when I tried to clean it off.

Oh and did I mention it glows?

yeah… gotta fix the seam, but still cool. Looks a little bit “DeathStar.”

The boards were painted before lasering, using Rust-Oleum 267026, 10 oz, Glow in The Dark

I also just discovered these and I so need them:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EUG1TNM

Also thinking about making some small moon serving trays… Moons are cool.

89 Likes

Looks wonderful :heart:

4 Likes

Awesome!

5 Likes

Realistic looking moon in the dark. :grinning:

2 Likes

Nice! I can find the Apollo 11 landing sight on it. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

That looks great. Did engrave on the backside?

4 Likes

Awesome! It came out fantastic. Thanks for sharing your project and also the stuff you used. I totally want to make one now!

3 Likes

The glow-in-the-dark view is really impressive!

2 Likes

I love the glow in the dark! I might need to do this today before the hurricane hits…

2 Likes

Agreed on the glow in the dark… No hang gliding for a while

1 Like

Very true! Or let the kids fly a kite

1 Like

I love the fact that it is the moon, but is very reminiscent of the death star…but I’m a geek, so…

9 Likes

Very cool effect!

2 Likes

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that’s amore!

7 Likes

Just making sure I understood - did you engrave the painted surface without masking? From your comment, it sounds like it.

I’ve done a fair amount of that, you don’t need much power to remove the paint, so you can get good results without producing the usual smoke debris, and don’t have to worry about masking.

For the cut, however, something I tried is to run a score over the painted part, then mask just that line with regular painters masking tape (I used the blue stuff). Then cut, peel off the masking, then engrave the unmasked painted surface. I would do it that way again…

3 Likes

I was not that dedicated :slight_smile:

very reminiscent of the death star

Yeah the line in the middle when it’s glowing does give it that look. Now that I think about it, you know what would be really cool? Since the paint itself is transparent in daylight, I can engrave the moon on it and then come back and paint the Death Star on it. Moon by day, Death Star by night.

10 Likes

Quick question: I am just starting to play around with painting before 'forging. What settings do you normally use to remove the paint?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

And it glows also :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Glow-in-the-dark all the things!

4 Likes

Sweet! I did kind of an odd hanger in the back on mine.

6 Likes