And the angels sang!

At long last, my GlowForge arrived yesterday…just in time for Christmas!

Set up was a breeze. I quickly demonstrated to my family what the long, two-year wait was all about. Within 30 minutes of unboxing, we watched as the Glowforge cut the Founders’ Ruler. Impressive! Ooohs and aaahs all around.

Then I decided to GO BIG—and test why I bought the GlowForge in the first place—to cut paper pop-up cards. I could not be more excited with the results. This is a game changer for me.

This is a pop-up Navity Scene I created in Adobe Illustrator a couple years ago. The card is produced from a single piece of paper. It used to take me over an hour to cut by hand. GlowForge cut the card in under 8 minutes!

IMG_7410

I consulted “Beyond the Manual” for suggested settings for paper. Thank you @tomfinnigan for your suggestions. They were spot-on for the paper I was using. You can see the detail that was achieved and there was minimal charring on the edges. So very impressive. I’ve never used or seen a laser (in person) before in my life. I’m so relieved that it was so easy and excited about the possibilities.

My only concern is the air assist blows the paper bits all around. On my first attempt the bits landed on the paths to be cut. So, I modified the artwork—color coded the lines to control the sequence of cuts and scores. The first parts to be cut where near the front of the tray—where the bits exit when blown, then moved the cuts toward the back of the tray. If bits blew around, they generally landed on parts that were already cut. My second attempt worked. I hope GlowForge offers some future control on the air assist to dial it down on light-weight materials.

Here are some detail shots:

44 Likes

@randy1 Is there any chance you would be willing to share the .svg file for this? It would make an awesome centerpiece for our Christmas dinner. Thank you for your consideration in sharing.

Merry Christmas!
Alex

That is gorgeous! Such a unique pop-up. Great job on it! :smile:

Just FYI, it is forum policy to not ask for design files. If @randy1 is so inclined to share though, we do have a Free Laser Designs category.

https://community.glowforge.com/faq

If someone shares a print that they’ve made, please respect their sharing and do not ask for the source design or artwork. Designs take work and have value, and when you ask someone to give you that value for free, you undermine their work.

7 Likes

I’m glad you that you like the card, but I can’t share the file. The card will be for sale soon an online store that I’m going to set up.

10 Likes

So cool!

1 Like

My apologies, did not mean to violate the rules. I was so impressed with the design my fingers got ahead of myself.

3 Likes

Totally understand… Best of luck with the sales, i’m sure this one will fly off the shelves. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No worries :slight_smile: just wanted to give a heads-up. It’s kind of hidden away in the FAQ (not sure if it’s also listed somewhere else). It’s a truly impressive design!

2 Likes

Gosh, you really hit the ground running. Awesome design!

Exceptional!!!

Wow! If this is what you do the first week, I can’t wait to see your work next month.

1 Like

Please update us when you get the online store going. I’m interested in being a customer.

1 Like

I’m glad you’ve brought this up. there have been multiple times where I wanted a design someone posted, but I aligned with Glowforge here and understood the time and effort behind these things. I wonder if soliciting to buy the design from them is okay to do on the forum.

At the very least, I think the majority of people here should have shops to sell their creations. I recently have been selling some stuff and it brings me a lot of joy to know that others own things that they would not have otherwise if I had never bought this laser.

Congrats on the process @randy1 and here’s hoping for success in your future store!

2 Likes

Spectacular! Can’t wait to see your other projects popping up in the forum :slight_smile:

I would just personal message them here.

2 Likes