Animal Free Fake Leather that's Laser Safe?

Yes – asked some time ago if this was laserable

13 Likes

Have you seen the lampshade!!! :joy::scream::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Very interested to hear how it works. This is something that I have been eyeballing.

2 Likes

Looks like something a troll might have in their dining room :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

The Kraft-tex looks promising. Please do report back if this stuff could look, at least from a distance, like leather. - Rich

2 Likes
3 Likes

The look of the pre-washed kraft-tex (on their website) is very interesting. I may have to order some as well. Inkjet-printable too.

5 Likes

I bought two rolls of Kraft Tex after reading about it on the forum a while back. But now I can’t remember what projects I had in mind when I bought them so they are still sitting in the corner.

5 Likes

I’d love to hear about your experience with this in the laser. good?
Thanks in advance!

In the very early days of waiting, when the thread started about what PG materials we would like to see, this is one of the ones I requested. Being vegan, true leather is not an option, so this looked like a pretty cool alternative.

2 Likes

Any luck with this stuff? :blush:

Crosslinking this here:

4 Likes

That is surprisingly cheap. Next time we order some of the engravable plastic for work I am getting some sheets.

Hiii Just wondering if anyone has found any fake leather that is laser-able yet??? :relaxed:

The Johnson Plastics Saddle Collection stuff @evansd2 linked to above fits that description. I’ve used it. It’s definitely workable for some things.

2 Likes

erm… two posts above yours, as a starter?

1 Like

The saddle collection from Johnson Plastics (see a couple posts up for the cross link) is super floppy and stretchy, but engraves great. For patches and stuff it would be great, but for a tote or backpack, way too thin and stretchy. What do you want to make from faux leather?

Also, if you do a search on the forum for saddle collection you’ll probably find a couple of example projects.

1 Like

… though it could likely be adhered to or wrapped around some stiffer, thicker substrate, like many leather items are. For example, if I am remembering correctly, they sell keychains with a sheath of the Saddle faux leather sewn around some more solid insert.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info! I was thinking about making some earrings and bracelets from it :slight_smile:

Probably depends on the style of earring. For a feather, where you have a solid feather shape and engrave the detail I think it would work well. For one where you cut out a lot of really fine detail on the edge, I would worry about it curling (of course, I’d worry about curling with a lightweight real leather.) For simple shapes I think it would work great.

For a heavy, woven bracelet, or a studded one, I’m not so sure. For a more delicate one, I think the stretchiness would be an asset.

Be warned: I have no practical experience in the wearing or making of either.

2 Likes