Anniversary Wine Box

First project on my glowforge (3 hours design, 3 hours cutting, 8 hours troubleshooting). Big learning curve, but it still came out alright. Learned real quick the camera is slightly fisheyed (sheet of proofgrade quickly became scrap). Also learned real quick about user defined kerf and proofgrade automatic kerf. This really screwed me up when designing the box. I used 3/8 inch x 6 inch x 3 foot pine project board from Lowes ($4.22 each) for the sides and dividers and accounted for the kerf, but I used proofgrade plywood for the bottom which accounted again for the kerf. The sides fit perfectly but the bottom was too tight because of the double kerf. Had to dremel out the bottom so it would fit together…

Also learned I need some calipers…

If interested (and after many tests), here were my settings I used on the 3/8 inch pine:

• Cut: Speed 150 at full power, material thickness .32, 1 pass
  • Engrave: Speed 500, 100 power, material thickness .32, 2 passes
    Let me know if you find better settings.

90 Likes

Great job

3 Likes

Great design. Love it.

3 Likes

Lovely! Nice to see a PA :glowforge: Born in Allentown, summered in Pottsville, lived in Maryland and living in St. Croix, USVI. Always saw Hazletown sign on the trip! (driving up 81) Totally love PA but don’t miss the cold. Have my siblings send me “Seltzers” Summer Sausage.

3 Likes

Oh very pretty! :grinning:

2 Likes

Gosh! This is amazing! I love that the three compartments each have their own contributing text and design across the top. Great job!

3 Likes

I don’t think we have that yet. Though kerf does vary from material to material so perhaps that explains what appeared to be double kerf compensation.

Your result is very nice!

4 Likes

Wow, that looks really cool! I love the 3 slots!

2 Likes

I was going to say that PG doesn’t have auto-kerfing, but I see was beat to it. Either way, you did an astounding job for not having calipers-- which made all the difference for me for dialing in kerf adjustments.

Also thanks for the lead to check out Lowes for pine project board. I’d like to compare it to some Baltic birch B/BB sheets I bought.

4 Likes

This is a stunning box! Beautiful work!

1 Like

Really nice! Regarding kerf, is there a definitive write up on how to design with kerf compensation?

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words. I thought I read on one of the threads about proofgrade kerf, but it appears I was mistaken, that or I was frustrated looking for an excuse on why my pieces were not fitting together. I am still very green when it comes to kerf, but what did Dan mean when he said, “I’ve mentioned this before - for Proofgrade materials, we’ll automatically compensate for kerf.” ?

@jonnyvermont - if you search on the forums for kerf, you can start to piece together some good write-ups on kerf, but I have not yet found a definitive write-up.

Absolutely beautiful

1 Like

I believe he meant they are definitely working on it. Not clear yet what form this will take.

1 Like

Excellent design and execution! I would think that after working out the bugs, this might do well in the store.

1 Like

Well, from my point of view it was worth all that work! :laughing:

Really, a fine piece to be proud of.

1 Like

Really beautiful design and work Travis. I was eyeing some of the Lowes 3/8 boards so it’s nice to know they cut well.

If a few of your kerf adjustments were just a little off, it could just be variance in the in material itself. Even the same sheet can have slightly different thicknesses and it can be enough to interfere with a tight tolerances.

1 Like

Did you design it directly or use a box creating website?

Beautiful!

1 Like

Beautiful work.
The Laser always cuts with a kerf. People are just confusing the term with kerf compensation. They mean two different things.

3 Likes