Another gift card holder

Hey everyone!

I printed so many of the awesome gift card holders that @designvh619 posted here, but then I started thinking it would be cool to have one that was just for everyday occasions (like birthday parties for my teenager’s friends). So I somehow came up with this, and I thought I would post it in case others might like it. I engraved pockets for 6mm round magnets so it looks like an envelope, only in wood. I did mine in 1/8th proofgrade maple. Anyway, just thought I would drop it here in case anyone could use it!

giftcard_envelope

132 Likes

I love this!!! You could even engrave the name of the person on the other side and fake stamp! Very cool!!!

8 Likes

That was the idea, I just haven’t gotten that far yet. And if you don’t personalize it, they can re-gift it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh and I forgot the pictures, here’s what it looks like

33 Likes

Lovely!!!

3 Likes

Anything with magnets! :wink:

7 Likes

Magnets and living hinge for the win!

7 Likes

A very cool idea :heart_eyes:
How thick are those magnets? Did you sink them into the wood?

5 Likes

I think they are 2mm thick. I have a saved setting that will do the pockets in the wood.

4 Likes

Great design, thanks!

1 Like

Hey, thanks! Living hinges always impress. :smile:

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this design.

Great I am still trying to figure the best way to do magnets for closures. I salvaged one similar that is half inch diameter x .9mm with a shield and steel disk on the closure and have been trying to get them to work in the thickness of a box wall but 1.6 Dia x 0.8 mm is not very strong even as neo.

A source for those shields and steel disks I also cannot find.

2 Likes

You mean these things?

Edit: don’t get these for this project. Find smaller ones!

7 Likes

If they were under 6 mm yes, 18mm is too big. The one I salvaged is just a disk of steel like from a punch but really flat,

3 Likes

Just put a magnet on each side, as Elsie did. Makes perfect alignment each time as well as being stronger.

4 Likes

As long as both are pointed in the correct direction, and too far off to the side will push away, where a piece of metal is attracted regardless. I have been using double magnets though they are very small.

2 Likes

Yes that goes without saying. Glue one. Snap on the other. Apply glue and close.

I’ve been using them that way to secure RC model parts like canopies, cowlings and hatches for 20 years…

6 Likes

https://www.pursesupplydepot.com/catalog.aspx?id=Magnetic_Snaps
Not 6mm, but small!

1 Like

I think the actual magnets are what I have but with larger metal parts. This is the one I salvaged (with a dime)…

2 Likes