Another Gift from Christmas. Flintlock rubber band guns

These were another gift I made for Christmas and wanted to post after they were opened as gifts. My daughter actually works on tall ships (old ships). She volunteers on a ship in the Seattle area (Lady Washington if you would like to see it. Lady Washington - Wikipedia

Imagine working 60-70 feet in the air on a moving ship to work on the sales. It was really incredible to hear she was doing this.

Anyway she also publishes an online comic about pirates as well and has been working on a pirate costume. So I decided to make her some simple flintlock pistols. The picture of three shows the prototypes and the final hard wood version. I have her the second to last mdf version (ship mate’s gun) and the hard wood version (captain’s gun). Both of them are working multi-shot (not period accurate) rubber band guns and can be seen in the video.

The materials are all proof grade and it was my first attempt to create inlays for the handles. Sadly as so many of my projects often do, there were LOTS of prints that didn’t make the picture and working out how to get the triggers to work and the rubber bands to release was a bit tricky, but I am really happy with how they came out and how happy she was to get them.

39 Likes

Fun!

3 Likes

These are fantastic! Every pirate should have one.

4 Likes

super cool. I rarely have any unique ideas by myself. So, this is something I now want to look into how to make.

3 Likes

That is what I thought.

I am the same way. I spend time being inspired by others, There are lots of great projects on the forum and out on the web. These were definitely inspired by my daughter, but they are based on a design I found on the web. I did modify it a lot, but still, needed some help to get started.

2 Likes

Your daughter wouldn’t happen to be Samantha would she? I have a friend who also works/worked on the Lady Washington. Talk about a small world!

and that pistol is fabulous!

1 Like

Fantastic! :smile:

2 Likes

My daughter is Ashley. I think she may have mentioned Samantha. It really is a small world.

3 Likes

There are lots of coincidences in this world, aren’t there? (My niece is named Samantha and her daughter is named Ashleigh.) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is funny!

1 Like

Those are amazing!! Now I want one!

1 Like

Ok, but you gotta make 'em sized for these rubber bands :stuck_out_tongue:

I kid! I kid! (just in case it wasn’t obvious)

10 Likes

That would be much more fun than their original use

3 Likes

Your inlays look great!

1 Like

What a great project and outcome!

1 Like

Good working piece.

1 Like

Thank you, getting it fully working was a challenge and with my visualization issues, I ended up make many more than I should have. But I loved giving it as a gift.

1 Like