Another Lid Hinge Broken

Just like some others, the right hinge holding my lid has come unglued. Ive also got an early backer machine having used it for several years now. Its just plain weird as I feel like this just happened out of the blue. Not sure what best option is here.

1 Like

Use the search function for that issue and how others have addressed it. (I see Ray is about to tell you how he did his)

4 Likes

The best option is whatever you’re comfortable with. Glowforge will either offer to fix it for you for a chunk of change, or send you a refurbished one for the amount that it would cost them to repair your machine, if that’s what they’re still doing that is. I wrote a repair guide if you’re willing to fix it yourself, which will cost you far less money: Lid Detached + Overseas (Philippines) - #4 by raymondking32

6 Likes

Haha you caught me. The problem with my repair guide is it’s hidden in the comment section of someone else’s problem, and the post I made about my own isn’t titled so you would know that that’s what the post is about.

3 Likes

Good of you to dig it up. how’s it holding up?

1 Like

Well my original fix failed, but the second time has held. I think my second machine also had the lid hinge fail, can’t remember. I’ve repaired both machines, especially the first one, several times. If Glowforge would start handing out technician certifications, I could be certified just by the amount of work I’ve done on my own machines :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Yeah, I understand. Practice makes you an authority.
I wonder if the thermal expansion differential between the glass and adhesive is a factor

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear that you are running into trouble with the right hinge separating from the lid on your Glowforge.

I hope the details @PrintToLaser and @raymondking32 provided were helpful. This is not a repair we support, so I don’t have any specific advice.

However, if you would like to work on having your Glowforge repaired, please let us know, and I can reach out directly on the next best steps.

1 Like

What are my options on this?

| MarcM Staff
May 19 |

• | - |

I’m so sorry to hear that you are running into trouble with the right hinge separating from the lid on your Glowforge.

I hope the details @PrintToLaser and @raymondking32 provided were helpful. This is not a repair we support, so I don’t have any specific advice.

However, if you would like to work on having your Glowforge repaired, please let us know, and I can reach out directly on the next best steps.

Due to the separation you are noticing on the hinge, if you’d like to follow the advice from the community on repairing it, that is possible.

However, this particular snag is not something we can fix remotely, but I can reach out directly via email if you’d like to review the next best steps.

Hi @atlwcb5579! I apologize if we didn’t answer your question. I’ve just sent you an email with the next steps. I’ll continue to work on this with you through email, so this post will be closed.

1 Like