Another New Maker Toy

hard to keep up with all the maker toys that have arrived, but it finally came last night! But now have to squeeze in some time to play with this as well…

31 Likes

Look forward to your projects and comments.

Looks very promising for creating great components.

2 Likes

I don’t do a huge number of “cosmetic presentations” but for instance this morning a prototype was presented at a big meeting, and it would have been nice (although the nylon 910 part looked pretty good as well)

3 Likes

I I have seen several of these types of chambers come out recently and I’ve been curious to see how they work. Can’t wait to see the results!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This one works with polymaker filaments only?

Well I suppose it would work with anybody who makes a filament that dissolves in isopropyl alcohol. They have their poly smooth filaments that do this perfectly.

3 Likes

What type of plastic is it? I tend to use isopropyl for cleaning things assuming it doesn’t affect plastic.

I would love to see the results once you have it up and running.
I’ve seen a few videos of people using their homemade rigs to do this and it always looks like a pain to get the timing right.

1 Like

They don’t tell you, but similar to PLA in print settings. There are videos of it working.

Yeah, the Polysher does it all automatically.

http://www.polymaker.com/shop/polysmoothpolysher/

3 Likes

The material seems to be PVB per my research. I have printed a couple of things out of it and it works OK, but does not bridge or do overhangs well at all. It is a little warpy; print with a brim. I find that BuildTak or similar works best with a cold bed. Overhangs more than about 40 degrees get really rough really fast.

I haven’t actually used my Polysher yet due to time constraints. From what I hear though it works best with organic surfaces and won’t do a lot for flat faces.

1 Like

Looks like you are all set to go. I have one of those, still in the box, on my office floor awaiting time time to try it out. The printer that will feed it is currently tied up with a multi-day job. I also have a Wanhao D7 v1.2 DLP printer to try out, but they come out with improvements faster than I can install them.

Your Uniz Slash shouldn’t be too far away either.

I would be VERY interested to hear how the Polysher is going.
Please (when you have the time) give us a bit of feedback on it

I was also intrigued with the Polysher, but the combination of machine cost, combined with the lock in on using their proprietary filament kept me from pursuing it further. I’ll stick with Acetone vapor bath and using XTC-3D.

2 Likes

Here is the Joel’s review on his 3D Printing Nerd channel:

8 Likes

TechnoLust is kicking in… :revolving_hearts:

Actually I am thinking of this weekend trying it to make my next set of molds for one of our simulation projects that needs a new set of silicone poured. This might be cool. Now what worries me is that the mold release compound might also dissolve the surface (it’s full of multiple aromatic hydrocarbon solvents). Well nothing ventured, nothing gained.

3 Likes

If you coat the finished print in a clear poly, that should stabilize the model to keep it from breaking down with the mold release compounds.

2 Likes

Hey Henry, I hope you are writing all this up and sharing with other hospitals (if consistent with your IP constraints). It all seems so incredibly useful I hate to think of the rest of the world missing out.

But at that point might as well coat the mold with X3D and be done with it… Also seems you could really change your mold with addition of drips, etc…

1 Like

I’d be kind of curious about one of these for acetone. I’m currently doing the old paint-can-on-a-hot-plate method. Works really well, reasonably unsafe, and wastes a lot of acetone though.