Another Pentagonal Hexecontahedron

Inspired by of some of Olafur Eliasson’s lights and the Pentagonal Hexecontahedron shared here, I designed my own version in Fusion 360. I have also wanted to try to learn a little about marquetry and decided now was the time.

The frame has no glue and is held together with 600 M3 bolts. Each face plate is a coaster that is held to the frame with magnets embedded below the veneer. The designs are all inspired by a trip through Europe that my wife and I were lucky enough to take with our dogs before the pandemic; each plate is a different stop on our trip (plus one for each of the three pups). The back of each coaster has the name of the city or town (also in marquetry). I am still learning about marquetry and creating these designs taught me a lot. There are loads of chips, scratches, and other learning things… but still fun to do. No banana handy for scale; each coaster is approximately 10.4 by 12.5 cm (4” wide * 5” high). The whole thing is about 40cm (16”) high.

The final hexacontahedron is made of
452 birch ply pieces in the frame
60 birch ply coaster plates
300 Magnets (five magnets in each plate)
1500 pieces of veneer. Approximately.
600 8mm steel M3 bolts
600 M3 nuts
300 sticky rubber feet (for the coasters)
so… about 3800 parts.

![7

68 Likes

Oh, what a wonderful pentagonal hexacontahedron!
Your inlay work is fabulous.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing this terrific project.

5 Likes

I like a good project that clearly took some endurance to see it through.

About how long were you working on this one?

7 Likes

I really like the feel of it! Great work on the inlays.

5 Likes

The cutting (352 cut jobs) and marquetry took 32 days. And then three weeks waiting for the bolts to clear Canada customs (arrived yesterday).

9 Likes

That is absolutely stunning! Great piece you have here.

3 Likes

Wow. Looks fantastic!

4 Likes

That is really spectacular!

2 Likes

Thanks for the compliments. I had a lot of fun doing it.

3 Likes

There have been a number of amazing tonguetwistahedrons displayed here, but yours has a different look and method than the rest. Great work!

4 Likes

Wow. :astonished:

3 Likes

That’s impressive. And quite a list of materials!

2 Likes

Fantastic! Love the inlay. Nice effect!

2 Likes

I love that the plates are removable! Fabulous job :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It took me a while to work out how to have the coasters removable… though I think I would be hard pressed to ever have an occasion that required all 60 to be in use at once. :grinning:

4 Likes

The internal workings are a thing of beauty by themselves, and could easily be displayed that way, but having the ability to swap or move the plates around is fantastic. Perhaps one day I’ll put this much work into anything that I do :wink:

4 Likes

Your marquetry is wonderful! That the pieces also form a fabulous artwork is just icing on the cake.

2 Likes

That is so great. Thanks for sharing

Having the sphere (with all of our trip’s stops) sitting on the counter the last few days has brought back a lot of great travel memories for us too. Hopefully we can all travel in safety again one day in the not too distant future.

2 Likes