Another personalized light switch cover

My guest bath has developed an octopus and teal theme. It started with the faux stained glass and snowballed from there. Recently we found some beautiful mottled teal tiles to put up around the sink, but that made the boring white/cream light switch even more of an eyesore. Luckily I have a Glowforge!

Cut out of teal acrylic, engraved and then painted with black acrylic paint before removing the masking, then bent with a torch lighter to allow it to go around the mirror and the corner.

There were many iterations to get it to fit the outlet, cover the hole in the tile, and catch the mirror. Luckily cardboard is plentiful :smiley:

46 Likes

Now that is a light switch worthy of its place on the wall. Now I kind of want a total bathroom makeover.

14 Likes

Very creative. What a great addition to the bathroom! I am sure anyone who sees it will want to know where you got it :wink:

15 Likes

Little bits at a time means you can decide if you like the direction you’re going or not!

:Evil laugh: From my brain! :Muah hah, hah hah hah: :stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes

That´s an amazing piece of personalized artwork. Congratulations @deirdrebeth !

12 Likes

This is absolutely brilliant!

11 Likes

On of my fav projects I have seen.

Great work!

9 Likes

Great stuff!

7 Likes

That is absolutely the greatest light cover I have ever seen! I love it!!

9 Likes
     WOW, super wow!
7 Likes

Omiword…this is marvelous. Your artwork alone is wonderful, but you definitely put the FUN back into functional. I love it!

10 Likes

Not my artwork, or at least only partially! I found the starting octopus in a search for creative commons art :slight_smile:

7 Likes

That is incredible! What a nice surprise for your guests!

7 Likes

Well this is just outstanding! Your guests will certainly not be bored by standard fixtures. Now I’m wondering what other Easter eggs you’ve got stashed away in that room.

7 Likes

This is just amazing! I love how it bends!!

7 Likes

Everyone should bend some acrylic with a torch lighter at least once - it’s far too easy! I’ve also bend full sheets in the oven, but there’s something about that pinpoint control :smiley:

5 Likes

Well that means I’m going to have to try it! I haven’t bent any but have seen some great work here for those that have. This one just stands out!!

3 Likes

wow that looks great. bummed I didn’t take a picture of the octopus shelf that was in the VRBO we had in florida last week. you’d have loved it.

5 Likes

I would be freaking out if I walked into the bathroom at night, then I would turn on the light and think this is something I need to make too.

4 Likes

The glowing dot from the GFCI means it’s never fully dark there…which honestly might make it worse depending on your personal feelings about cephalopods!

I totally agree that you should make something like this too! What better use for a laser than tricking out your house?

4 Likes