Another year, another birthday present

Every year, I make an 8"x8" piece of art for my wife’s birthday (which was last Friday).

See this post for last year’s version: Small art piece for my wife's birthday

This year, I made one that is “scout” themed. 3 of my 4 kids are currently in some level of scouts (with the 4th one starting next year). It feels like the scouts are taking up a lot of our off-time.

It’s made out of Baltic Birch, and some different pieces of colored card stock.

47 Likes

The hand wrapped around the frame is really great.

12 Likes

Great addition to the collection! (They could be displayed together on a wall as a kind of historical record.) :grinning:

4 Likes

So cool!

4 Likes

I love this and every piece of art I’ve seen you post. The structural elements are alway so cool, but I just appreciate so much how you draw and color. (I particularly like how you give the illusion of their faces…it works so well.) Excellent work, Ben!

4 Likes

Excellent job. Nice execution of the 3d. (Especially with the hand outside the frame…) :sunglasses:
As a former scoutmaster I can tell you it likely won’t get LESS time consuming, but it is worth it. My expected 2 year commitment turned into 8, but you will not wish you had spent less time with them. :grin: but afterwards I understood how someone could coach for decades… you always have a new class you hate to leave. Kudos from Troop 7 in Tn. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

That’s what we did. I’ve been doing this for 17 years. You can see the evolution of my family from no kids (where my wife is pregnant in the top left), up to 4 kids about half way through.

Only the last 2 were done on a GlowForge (and the last one is not yet attached to the wall).

16 Likes

Very nice work man! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Yeah, displays like that make me wish I had some artistic ability! :sunglasses::+1:

5 Likes

Beyond amazing!

3 Likes

I will agree with @tjleasa on that Out Of The Box design work.
I have found myself going that route a lot with this Glowforge.
I use to be real stodgy and put everything inside the woodwork where it belongs, but as shown, that misses the mark at times and is so easy to correct with a Glowforge.
Keep up the good work.

5 Likes

All of them adorable! The :glowforge: has upped your game!

4 Likes

Your work is so inspiring! And the hand around the frame really lifts the piece to a whole new level.

3 Likes

I have to hand it to ya.

3 Likes

Wow, I love that collection of art. Just beautiful. Like @Jules said, I wish I had artistic ability.

3 Likes

Scouting is wonderful for all! This is a fabulous art piece! What a presentation your collection makes! Wow!

2 Likes