Antique fan

I’ve been busily sourcing materials. 1/16" plywood is on its way, and it looks like a local(ish) frame shop can get me the UV-protective acrylic. It’s cheaper online, but the shipping costs more than the acrylic does. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What do you typically use for the lining?

1 Like

I’ve just been looking for the uv acrylic, but not found anything thinner than 1/8".
Is thinner available ?
I use polyester dress lining, as it’s available in a huge range of colors, a close weave, and cheap !
I first cut a piece about 2-3" bigger all round than the fan case. Then a light spray onto the base with a repositionable spray adhesive. Gently lower the cloth onto the case, pushing down into the middle, then spreading outwards to remove any bubbles. The idea now is to drape the cloth up the inner wall, so that it follows a curve between base and wall. The corners need a ‘box pleat’, I’ll call it, in each corner, to give the neatest finish, and I anchor the cloth to the top of the inner wall all ground with UHU all purpose glue.
John
:upside_down_face:

1 Like

I think of box pleats as reverse hospital corners. :wink:

No, I haven’t found the UV acrylic in a thinner size, but 1/8" (actually 0.118") seems reasonable to me for something this big.

I think I might be able to gather all the materials requiring a pro before my trip to see @timjedwards this weekend. Yay!

5 Likes

And I’ll clean up after a deep engrave…

2 Likes

Meh, just clean the optics, I’m easy. :wink:

2 Likes

Not what we want to read between brother and sister, not even in Texas.

Now I have to wash my brain.

2 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

(That is a MORE THAN complete sentence!!!)

1 Like

Did you complete this?

Frame Shops sell glass that will protect the fan from the damaging UV light.

1 Like

Not yet. I’m going to have to make another trip to use @timjedwards’ passthrough – we ran out of time on my last visit!

Yeah, I just prefer to use acrylic. :slight_smile: Which, it turns out, frame shops ALSO carry in UV-protective versions.

1 Like

I didn’t know about the acrylic. last I framed something important that wasn’t available or they didn’t carry it. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I went hunting online and discovered it is a Thing. And also that the shipping cost is as much as the price for buying it. The price is higher at frame shops, but you don’t have to pay shipping, so it ends up being 'way cheaper. :slight_smile:

Unless you happen to live near Tap Plastics or something. Man, I miss that place!

1 Like

That “ruler” is actually a drafting scale. It is used to make scale drawings. Of the six graduated edges, probably one is graduated in full scale inches. The rest will be other scale values so that you can draw a building at say1/4" to a foot for example. This is not a metric scale

Takes me back to learning drafting on a drafting board. Our teacher, Mr Kuiper would charge anyone who dropped their scale on the floor a dime. The scale makes a very distinctive sound when it falls, and everybody would look up to see who was going to be 10 cents poorer.

3 Likes

Mr Kuiper would also berate anyone caught using a scale to draw a line instead of a set triangle or tee square. Your scale shows signs of being used with a felt tipped marker LOL

3 Likes

It’s been in my mom’s kitchen drawer for the past 37 years or so, and out of my control until now. Long enough for me to have forgotten how to use it, and for it to have endured a lot of non-engineering use. :wink:

3 Likes

Still have my circa 1980 drafting instruments. What with Solidworks I don’t use them much anymore but will never get rid of them. Beautiful fan BTW.

4 Likes

It’s been a ruler, not a scale. :grin: That’s what happened to mine.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.