Anyone have success with selling a Glowforge that needs repairing?

I also think that part of the problem is that there is more than one seeming problem with my machine. So, I think more than one thing is attributing to its demise.

Not off the top of my head. Do you have a makerspace near you with the laser you could use? You can also create a post here in “Everything Else” looking for someone in Vegas. Unless they can be shipped, in which case a general call for help would work.

Hopefuly support can get this resolved for you. It’s frustrating when the problem seems to be intermittent.

1 Like

Great, @ChristyM, I will post in the forums about trying to find someone that might be able to help. Do you know generally how that works? Is there a standard rate for outsourcing acrylic cuttings? Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

1 Like

Some credit cards extend a warranty, if you paid that way.
Support should have been able to look at your machine’s logs and see what the problem is.

2 Likes

Did you get the automated message saying “we got your message” that comes shortly after sending them one?

1 Like

@primal_healer, the most recent email, I believe I got an automated message from Marc two days ago. So, hopefully I hear back from them soon. I don’t know if I received an automated message from my previous attempts.

@PrintToLaser, I did not pay with a credit card :frowning: Sigh, I really wish I had after reading the forums about AMEX having extended warranties. Le sigh.

Yeah, I am hoping that they eventually get back to me. We don’t have access to the logs, correct?

1 Like

We do, interpreting them is something I know nothing about. Let me see if I can find the process to download the logs. Here it is

2 Likes

@PrintToLaser Ah, thank you! I will try to interpret this later today!

It may not be helpful, this is from Vee at support…

I apologize for the continued trouble. Logs are stored on your Glowforge for Wi-Fi connection and initial setup details only - they do not typically provide information about errors that occur during prints. If you’re having trouble, the most effective way to get help is to contact support, so thank you for doing so. We’re already working with you via email, so I’m going to close this thread.

… “typically”.

1 Like

@PrintToLaser ohhhhh… Sigh.

I presume you have checked your spam folder for missed communication?

1 Like

@PrintToLaser Yep :frowning:

1 Like

Unfortunately (or fortunately), no. I haven’t had to do it. If it’s obviously for charity, people might be willing to help for very little, though. It’s not ear savers, is it?

1 Like

I bought my Pro 7 months before receiving it, and many issues I had were what everyone had until they were fixed. Every corner even as a light score would burn through, as the laser slowed coming to the corner and accelerating on leaving. Even a circle would have a gouge at the start and stop point.

On my first print there was not even a scale at the top and side that is there now. I had no idea of the scale of what I was cutting and complained bitterly. I was probably not the first to do so, but likely the last as that appearted the next day. Likewise getting the cut where you planned was very difficult, there was no Calibration, no set focus, and no precision placement and I would do a light score so many times I would lose track of which was the last. even 1 power and 500 speed the corners were clear even when you could not see the score for being too light.

I don’t know if anyone realized the effects of magnets on the fan and electronics, but I used them a lot and had a lot of not cutting through as a result. I made do as I could and returned the machine right after Christmas and got a basic back which had to be returned for a pro which took a month and therefore arrived just after my warranty was at an end, but it has run exceptionally well ever since and the improvements amazing compared to where it was.

1 Like

You have multiple open tickets. I suggest letting support work through your issues. Selling a machine that you feel is defective is going to be tricky, but not impossible. The fact that you state it works fine sometimes is problematic.

1 Like

@ChristyM, they’re both ear savers and I am making earrings as a gift for people that donate a certain amount to charities. So, when they send me the money, I’m donating it on behalf of them and Google is matching the donation 100%. I think someone else in the forums had posted about it too. Sending them a receipt of their donation along with a gift (e.g., something to also show solidarity with everything going on). I hope that makes sense. However, I still have a bunch of ear savers that I need to finish for my donation to the Navajo Nation.

I am glad that you don’t know how that works :slight_smile: Haha, definitely would rather not know…

@dklgood, yeah, they finally got back to me (after I posted this thread). So, I am glad. However, I still wanted to see what the community had to say about their own experiences. So, crossing my fingers for something that will be easy to fix.

@rbtdanforth, wow! That sounds like a whole different machine :open_mouth: Seems like they’ve made a lot of improvements after that point. Thanks for your response. You give me hope that it might be possible to see exceptional results. I am glad yours works well after all of that!

1 Like

It is a different and better machine now than then, almost all improvements in software. Your machine likely has an improved exhaust that older machines did not, and a lot more less obvious improvements in the mechanical systems that few could figure out even if they had them side by side.

I mainly wanted to give some perspective on the machine those newer to them now cannot have, most of those issues I had the rest of us at that time also had and why we are quick to suspect user error before unexpected magic from new machines.

2 Likes