Anyone Hiring Mechanical Engineers in the Phoenix Area?

No, not the hiring manager…the person you’ll be working for. (Second interview.) If they think you’ll be a threat to their job, they might decline to see you. (It’s just human nature, I’ve seen it happen.)

Unless they are looking for a manager position (which you might be more qualified for as an independent businessman).

You might want to think about a manager position of some kind.

I don’t wanna be a manager whine. I want to design things and build them. I don’t want to take over the manager’s position. The most I would ever do is be a project manager. A position with people responsibility isn’t what I want. I don’t like being responsible for people. I will do it if I have to, but I prefer to be in the shop getting my hands dirty.

The company that ghosted me interviewed with the hiring manager and the immediate supervisor first, then the CEO, then the supervisor and CEO. The CEO is what drove the tight schedules apparently.

2 Likes

I don’t understand the cost doesn’t seem to provide a benefit line.

If you can hand the books off, that’s a benefit. If they’ll chase the money, that’s a benefit, and it’s not a strictly overhead position.

As far as the marketing person, it seems like you’re in the rock and a hard place of an expanding company, rather than a company hiring as a result of attrition. It’s hard for expanding companies because you don’t have the revenue to pay for the position, hence the need for an employee that can bring in the revenue. It’s a great catch-22 situation.

I understand completely. Motivating a team is extremely difficult.

I hope you do find a build related opening then…just don’t give up. :smile:

1 Like

Sorry, I will try to explain better.

The cost of a financial assistant doesn’t provide a benefit for me because the cost of the service is more than I would save by using the service. It doesn’t take me a lot of time to do the financials, especially as I have it all set up to be smooth and pretty easy. So I would be increasing my overhead to have someone else do it. Yes, they could chase invoices for me, but that would only be a stress reducer. Not a huge gain, and a financial loss.

I think I am past the point I could expand. That was about a year ago. Now I just need to move on. I don’t have enough work to pay for myself, let alone someone else. I had a good arrangement with another company to send verified leads my way for a commission, but they shut down that arrangement in favor of a larger commission for unverified leads. The result was that I spent all my time verifying the leads and not working. I haven’t found another lead source that I can afford and be competitive.

Thanks! I just hope something comes in before I get to the point that I have to consider selling the GF and the printers and the car and the house.

1 Like

One question I have is your age. I know I’ve run into this (in my early 50s, viewed as practically dead in the tech industry) but since I am a very specific skill set pretty hard to have it until you are around this age (physician, software engineer and able to do CAD/CAM stuff). So that’s a pretty weird venn diagram of skills which no 22 year old is going to have (certainly not the practicing physician part - since unless you are Doogy Howser you are at least in your 30s before you’re out as a boarded attending physician and if you are sub specialized like me after a fellowship you’d be older - I started medical school at 30 so I don’t count).

I see it all the time in tech where folks my age are viewed as incapable of adapting to the changing tech (despite having grown up and participated in building the “new way” of doing things, and have first principal knowledge of how this all works). Having learned programming on a PDP-8, where you could literally watch bits flip on the front panel in the CPU, modern kids don’t have any idea how it works under the hood, just that it does.

Hopefully they aren’t being ageist but it wouldn’t be uncommon (despite people in their 50s being far more likely to not come into work hung over and actually stay for a while).

edit: typo

3 Likes

I will be 40 in February and am claiming 15 years of experience, 10 in aerospace and 5 in consumer products.

I think I have equivalent skills to most applicants my age, but it may be that they are taking younger applicants.

One of the points I make is that I have committed to continuing my education and skills improvement, by taking classes and by taking on new tech projects and teaching myself. I also have been able to take client projects that I knew just a little about and turn them into a successful project that lead into another contract with the same company. To me that shows the ability to be flexible and continue to learn and adapt.

1 Like

You probably have superior skills to people younger than you (presumably you’ve learned something in all those years). But companies in high-tech fields often choose to ignore experience (those old fogey will dislike “move fast and break things” and prefer not to have the bridge fall down). As I often point out in my job that in Healthcare move fast and break things, often kills people… So maybe having someone with experience who knows the mistakes might be a better choice than someone younger who has yet to make them… But on the flip side they realize they have to pay more for experience, so you are likely more expensive than a entry level person (regardless that your ability to self-manage and more skills letting you do more advanced work independently makes you likely cheaper in the long run, but as a entry on the ledger you appear more expensive)

There is also the ugly side of ageism where they view you as clearly more expensive for healthcare utilization (but in reality not even close to one of the those 22 year olds having a baby). You’d think that your current skill set would make you extremely desirable (again in east coast/CA you’d hardly be able to move due to all the recruiters mobbing you for all the tech companies). I am assuming you have no desire to relocate (the one downside of being older is you probably have roots set down and aren’t as easily relocatable) to one of the coasts.

2 Likes

Have you checked with Local Motors?

Nikola Motors?

1 Like

I am asking about the same as an Engineer 2 position, about 65-75 K per year. This position is a minimum of 5 years experience. I would really prefer more, but that is what I would take. I can really apply for positions as high as Engineer 4 or engineering manager due to my skillset and experience.

And the funny part of that is my healthcare is likely less than most people. I know that their cost for insurance may be higher, but my habit of self care means other than the dentist and checkups I don’t go to the doctor. The only time I have had anything requiring treatment was when I was t-boned several years ago, and that required one visit to urgent care to check the box because I was on a work trip. Even when I worked with people, I got sick less and for shorter duration than anyone in the company.

If I was willing to break the relationship with my girlfriend I would relocate, but I am not willing to do that. It wouldn’t be easy, but I could sell my house and relocate. She won’t, though, and no one has been able to make me an offer that would justify losing that relationship. I haven’t been looking out of my area though.

1 Like

I have applied with both, but have not been contacted by either. I suspect it is because I don’t have the specialized software experience that most auto manufacturers have.

I applied at Fender with a referral from a former employee and a reference from the local manager of a large sound system company and Fender didn’t even call me for an interview.

I ran into that when a large tech company was heavily recruiting me for a senior position and the VP was really pushing me hard, and I noted that while I had no desire to relocate that there was always a number someone could write on an envelope that would make that change. So then he responded “well tell me what that is, I essentially have a blank check to hire”. Then my wife said no “they will take us out of this house in a box” (pretty sure I could fit in the Glowforge box??). So I had to sadly turn them down for a 3rd time (and it was a very, very big number…)

1 Like

I didn’t say this was routed in logic (see the comment about babies above). But it’s the view.

I am not quite that dead set on staying and I think we could probably run long distance for a while, but yes, it is along those lines. Especially since she just bought her new house. There is a number, but I don’t think anyone would offer it.

Yeah, logic doesn’t come into account a lot more than I like to realize.

I think the lack of returned emails, phone calls or general non-response to resume submittals is prevalent in this part (western) of the US. Getting the big blow-off on any kind of communication 'round here actually is pretty much the way people operate. People just seem to lack decorum.

I’ve never experienced sending resumes out into the vacuum of space like this when I lived in the Midwest. When I job hunted there, I received a response on literally every resume, even if just to tell me No Thanks. Here, (Arizona) I can send out 30 resumes and get nothing, then get brushed off when I initiate follow-up calls. And this isnt even cold-calling, that’s with places that are actively hiring.

Oh, come on, anything is possible if you try hard enough! You’re just being lazy! :rofl::laughing::grin::rofl:

1 Like

The funny part was the calculation that killed it was one he did himself. I just verified it.

1 Like

I get a response from about 30% of my applications. I don’t understand it either; when I was helping hire an assembly tech we made sure to inform everyone we didn’t choose. We had an amazing number of no-call, no-shows for interviews.

It doesn’t bother me that much after just an application, but once I give my time for an interview I appreciate a follow up.

It’s one of the disagreeable parts of hiring. Love to visit with people and hear their stories. Tied up in knots when I give them a call to say I went with someone else. Wouldn’t do it for a living.

Praying to St. Patrick that the right one comes your way.

3 Likes