Anyone know what kind of wood this is?

Hey everyone, I figured this was my best resource to identify, if possible, what this wood is. I want to make some sides for this vanity (not on the GF) , which is open, but I want it to match as best as I can. Even if I can stain something to some semblance would be good. Anyone recognize it?

6 Likes

Walnut?

9 Likes

I have no idea why, but my first thought was Olive. The color and cambium do match Walnut well.

8 Likes

Thank you both! I should have thought of walnut, but it’s good a reddish tinge to it that didn’t quite show in the picture. I’ll look up olive wood to see what it looks like, thanks!

5 Likes

Cocobolo? :smiley:

3 Likes

Maybe ask the installer/manufacturer?

3 Likes

Personally, I think it’s monkeypod wood.

6 Likes

Could be Claro Walnut.

My other thought was Acacia but it seems too variable.

2 Likes

Good idea, but I have no idea where it came from, unfortunately.

1 Like

Interesting, I’ve never heard of that one!

1 Like

I’m not familiar with Claro walnut, but will look, thanks! I was also wondering about acacia.

As that is not something you’re going to pick up at Home Depot, I suggest you take clear pics to an exotic lumber supply and have them provide an opinion.

2 Likes

No makers mark anywhere? Maybe the underside?

1 Like

In my youth and early days in the Army, a lot of military/veterans had “bar tops” of monkeypod wood. I saw a lot of it.

4 Likes

It would not surprise me if it was made from scratch by the guy who built the house. He’s a general contractor, and judging by all the stuff that is weird/unfinished, I’m betting he got that wood from somewhere and made a vanity out of it. The underside of the main top doesn’t feel like it was even sanded, and I didn’t see any stickers or anything. There is a low shelf. I’ll try to get my phone under there to take a picture.

Interesting… The previous owner was in the army, so maybe that is what it is! I’ll have to compare some pictures of it. Thanks!

3 Likes

It’s a western walnut species that’s highly figured with a lot of color variation.

Here’s the mantle I made for our new house.

And the breakfast bar.

6 Likes

Thanks! That first picture looks the most like it, so maybe. I did text the prior owner and ask what it was, and he just said it was some kind of exotic wood and he doesn’t remember. I don’t even care if we don’t use the same kind of wood, if we could figure out how to stain something else to complement it that would work too. But I guess to get the grain it will have to be something more exotic than Baltic birch ha ha.

1 Like

It might be easier and cheaper to have a sign company print a vinyl sticker that mirrors the grain on top at the edges. Many people go to great lengths to make furniture with mating edges. I think they call it a “waterfall edge”. For a vanity, nobody would notice. Find iron-on edge-banding that matches, and paint the inside.

3 Likes

I second the monkeypod though.

3 Likes

The more I examples I see, the more I agree. I’m now looking for somewhere I can buy planed boards at 1/4 or 1/2 inch. No luck so far, seems everywhere that has it just sells the slabs. I wonder if koa is close enough, hmmm.

1 Like