Anyone looking for a desktop injection molder?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shopbotix/micromolder-fully-automatic-desktop-injection-molder?ref=project_link

12 Likes

Well, I wasn’t…

15 Likes

I have not explored all of the corners of the capability of my 3d printer yet but I admit that this is intriguing. Especially the overmold capability.

1 Like

I wasn’t…but that was five minutes ago…

5 Likes

STOP IT! I need a house before I get any more toys!!!

12 Likes

Now that you mention it

3 Likes

Uh oh…

3 Likes

See what you started, you should be ashamed…LOL

7 Likes

Do want, but no more risky kickstarters for me!

5 Likes

I was just looking for a way to spend this extra $3599 that’s in my pocket! lol jk :smiley:
Seriously, though - that’s pretty cool!

3 Likes

If I could make the mold tooling, I so would get this. No time to learn new things :sob:

3 Likes

Must…resist…

5 Likes

Cool but i’ve been burned on several kickstarter projects so I’m not participating in any more…

2 Likes

i am SO not ashamed.

<=== enabler

2 Likes

This isn’t the first time this has been attempted. There was another unit about four years ago that turned out to be a total failure. I would be VERY skeptical of this unit. Their website is a Google site that hasn’t been set up yet, and this is the only thing that comes up when you search the company name.

If you have that much cash to throw away go for it, but go into it expecting to lose the money.

1 Like

OOOooo, so cool.

I’m a little less worried about it (completely failing to ever deliver) now, having watched the videos of the machine in operation. I’m pretty confident they’re showing an actual working prototype (or further). It’s entirely possible they could run into trouble in manufacturing, as so many have before, or the machine could end up just not working very well. But I’ve changed my bet, I think they will actually ship these things.

If I actually had a use for one, I’d simply wait. The Kickstarter price is $3600. The retail price is $4000. They actually address that in one of the comments complaining about not getting a bigger discount, and I appreciate the transparency. Sounds like they know not a lot of people want to take on that much risk, so they’re just doing a small pre-sale to fund the up front costs of starting production, and those who want to wait and see can do so. They’re not playing “buy now or miss out forever” games.

4 Likes

What fun! But there is no way the boss will approve that!

1 Like

The question is if you could make the molds of acrylic or similar depth engraved with a laser? A $400 difference in price between risky and certainty seems hardly worth it and you need an outside compressor.

Something like this might work just as well

uh oh