Apollo 11 Plaque

In honor of the 50th anniversary of the first crewed landing on the Moon by Apollo 11, I’m happy share a recreation of the memorial plaque that was attached to the Lunar Module.

A11.plaque.pdf (104.8 KB)

Suggested unofficial settings for Medium Basswood Ply: 1000 zooms / 80% pews / 340 LPI / 1 pass

BTW, if you want to experience the mission in realtime (+50 years!) visit:

As I type this they are about 10 minutes from the beginning of powered decent. :grinning:

For personal use only as per forum rules

41 Likes

Thanx for the plaque but double for the link. I tuned in just in time for the second half of the decent. I got overwhelmed, I can remember this like it was 50 years ago. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

CBS streamed their original coverage with Walter Cronkite & Wally Schirra on YouTube. Had to have that running too since that’s what I was watching in '69. :v:t2:

4 Likes

I have been watching Curiousmarc’s restore of the AGC for the past several months. It has been a great gateway to all kinds of things Apollo. I have been wanting to do a project for the anniversary, but am too busy with another one to take time. Going to a Moonshot Party tonight though!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this! They landed on the moon on my 17th birthday so it’s especially memorable for my twin and I.

I’m going to make it and display it with the commemoration stamps my daughter gave me many years ago.

:grinning:

Martha

9 Likes

Great idea!

My favorite part of that stamp was that it was for Air Mail (kids, ask your (grand)parents)…

12 Likes
5 Likes

I sat at work the other day watching the CBS broadcast on a couple of giant screens (and could see the VAB and pad where it happened out the windows). Cool stuff :slight_smile:

Here is something NASA put out for the fifth anniversary

7 Likes

Thanks for the plaque, @dwardio! We’ve been watching the moon landing in all its fine glory thanks to a disc set I bought my husband a few years back. He just bought the local paper which featured their front page from 50 years ago. Unbeknownst to him I ordered him some t-shirts as well. All great stuff. I keep thinking up different space shadow box designs in my head, @hansepe.

3 Likes

I was sent to bed the night it happened. :pleading_face:
Wish I could have seen it.

5 Likes

We attended talks by Harrison Schmitt and Gene Kranz this week. Astro-geeking to the max. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Seems like you are almost over it after 50 years. Lucky for you, you can see it now - and you might even appreciate it more.

3 Likes

Me too.

I’m happy just to see it all now.

4 Likes

Thank you for the plaque and the link! This was very exciting … even as a child.

Was trying to remember which sibling kept the Apollo 11 glasses my parents had.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing this

i fell asleep on the floor, but my uncle woke me up in time to experience it.

4 Likes