Apple Watch Engraving?

I have a client who wants to engrave a word on the bottom part of an Apple Watch, has anyone done that or have any tips for this? Is this a horrible idea? I have one shot at it and if its wrong well OUCH. Please advise. THANK YOU.

Are you referring to the outside glass?..or to an Apple watch band? There are posts about engraving on the bands, but I’ve never seen anything about the glass part. Frankly, I wouldn’t touch that with a 10-foot pole. I believe (could be wrong) that the glass is a kind like pyrex…not just regular glass.

1 Like

sorry I did a horrible job explaing that. It would be on the plastic housing or whatever its made out of on the bottom. Picture below.

That part is aluminum. Your GF won’t engrave anything on it…it can’t engrave metal. You might possibly be able to ‘mark’ it using a medium like Cermark, if you found one that says specifically it will work on aluminum…but, there are no guarantees of success. On top of that, because it would be over an inch high in the GF, you’d have to rig up some kind of jig to hold it…PLUS, it’s a curved surface, making success even more remote. Just my opinion, but to me there are too many ‘cons’ and not enough ‘pros’ that would make me want to do something like this. There might be someone else here in the forum that’s more daring than I who will chime in. Best of luck!

4 Likes

That’s one of the new Apple Watch Ultras. Not only won’t the Glowforge do anything to the ceramic backing, but even attempting to do so could damage some of the multitude of sensors on the back side.

4 Likes

How can you tell what model that is from the photo? From my vantage, it looks pretty much like my old one.

2 Likes

The new Apple Watch Ultra has that raised lip surrounding the watch face and a lip around the button (bottom in the photo). At times my OCD actually comes in handy. (Although mostly it annoyed my ex-wife…)

5 Likes

Haha! That definitely IS some attention to detail! I’m pretty OCD myself, but had nothing to compare that photo with.

2 Likes

thanks y’all I appreciate that. I just needed confirmation to not do something stupid.

3 Likes

Where is this for my life?!?

2 Likes

All life’s answers are here in the Glowforge forum pal.

3 Likes

Truer words have never been spoken.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.