Articulated "paper" doll question (La Calavera Catrina doll)

Anyone make an articulated paper doll out of something other than paper and in a larger scale? I was thinking of maybe using a lighter weight leather, but I’m thinking it might be a bit to heavy? I only have a bit of leather left and don’t have much to experiment with so I thought I ask here for suggestions before committing to it. I was also thinking maybe wood? I just dunno what I want to do so any ideas are welcome…

Here’s Catrina. I made a doll version of this same file and want to make her at least 12" tall if not more.

Here’s what I want to do with her
406921538_9nax

14 Likes

Canson watercolor paper is pretty rigid.

Matboard is probably doable too and inexpensive and easily sourced.

4 Likes

Artboard/canvas stuff didn’t even occur to me! I have a tone of it laying around too and it’s probably work perfectly. Thanks a bunch.

2 Likes

Canson is great, cuts very nicely.

3 Likes

Catrina is just tooooooooooooooooo adorable!

This is fantastic. Have you ever run across these books?

https://www.amazon.com/Automata-Mechanical-Toys-Rodney-Peppe/dp/1861265107?crid=GKVEAXF6BTVX&keywords=automata+and+mechanical+toys&qid=1539875318&sprefix=automata++and+Mechanics%2Caps%2C210&sr=8-1&ref=sr_1_1

I look at them and dream of future projects to come.

8 Likes

Not paper, but I made a sort of an articulated doll kind of a thing last year when I first got my machine:

3 Likes

Ah geeez, don’t even get me reaming about automata projects again! I have sooo many ideas floating around my head lol. Have you ever seen Kieth Newstead’s work? It blows my mind.

I think his “Moby Dick” is one of my favorites

5 Likes

Wow. Keith Newstead’s work is amazing!

I am sorry to do this to you, but…something similar to this looks possible on a Glowforge. (I’m just sayin’. )

7 Likes

Okay here’s my Lady Catrina articulated paper doll. The artboard worked great @evansd2, thanks for the idea.
I didn’t have any small paper brads, so these big brass ones are just temporary until I can get some little tiny ones. She’s just about a foot tall all together. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

She is fantastic!! Such a great idea, and excellent execution.

1 Like

I’m so glad I read this whole post. Catrina is a fine lady and I didnt wven know Automata and Mechanical toys were a thing but now I feel like I need one of those books!

2 Likes

Hmm. I wonder how little veneer circles on the brad tops would look?

1 Like

Yeah, I gotta come up with something better than those big brass ones. I’m was going to try paint or maybe veneer, then I found the brads come in white. Don’t know why I didn’t think of checking before… :smirk:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.