Artist Collaboration Polyhedrals

Many times when I am designing and creating, I run into a mental block on what to put on the outside of my polyhedrals. I reached out to a fellow Glowforge and Instagram artist whose work I really admire and asked to do a collaboration. I would design and create a custom polyhedral, and she would paint the outside faces. You can find Crystal’s artwork here. We ended up making 2 shapes, one for her to keep and one for me. I used Stella4D to come up with unique polyhedrals and used my normal process in Fusion360 to create the connectors.

Crystal’s Rainbow Polyhedral
12 Pentagons and 30 Hexagons
58% in between a icosidodecahedron and a Rhombic Triacontahedron.

Mike’s Galaxy Polyhedral
12 Decagons and 60 Pentagons
57.4% in between a Truncated Dodecahedron and a Triakisicosahedron.

The polyhedrals turned out amazing and am super pleased to have this in my collection. I highly recommend collaborating with other artists!

59 Likes

When I saw the rainbows I initially thought you’d done the slow-flowing sand…and now I want to see something with slow-flowing sand, but it would have to be in constant motion or everything would just settle toward the bottom :stuck_out_tongue:

That galaxy is amazeballs!

8 Likes

These are awesome! Very nice collaboration indeed.

5 Likes

You two make a great team! These are beautiful.

4 Likes

So beautiful!

1 Like

The Galaxy rotating vid made it look like a gem-quality fancy cut/polished agate. The large plates looked like portals to a mysterious place. That’s some seriously impressive work by both artists.

4 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous, and mind-blowing! I made your icosidodecahedron, I had a friend print the connectors for me and I posted the pic on your icosidodecahedron thread. The maths in working out the shape of the connectors is too much for me so I haven’t done any others but I am one of your biggest admirers, your work is stunning and this collaboration couldn’t have turned out better!

4 Likes

Both of these are beyond beautiful. Great collaboration!

3 Likes

That is crazy good! Collaborating is great! Great color work! WOW!

2 Likes

Wow, looks like resin pouring. She must have made custom molds for those pieces. What a neat collaboration!

2 Likes

Those are beautiful. I especially like the first one…

3 Likes

Wow, those are so pretty!

3 Likes

These are actually all just white acrylic pieces on top that I cut with my Glowforge, painted and sealed, then did a resin top coat on the larger faces to create some visual interest (and make the gold pop). It was a really fun collab! :slight_smile:

12 Likes

As someone who has done a lot of alcohol ink + acrylics, I’m super impressed how gorgeous these turned out! I think I’ll have to try that hairdryer technique, it creates such gorgeous veils :heart_eyes_cat:

6 Likes

Haha-that was going to be my other choice!

3 Likes

So amazing. Working with others definitely has benefits! Like they always say, want a good house? Have a strong foundation. The construction and design of the Polyhedrals is just stunning!

5 Likes

Happy Cake Day @designvh619!

4 Likes

Thank you! So weird…apparently I had my GF for a while before I joined the community. LOL

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! You paint beautifully :heart:

4 Likes

Love your work! I hope you post more.

3 Likes