Assorted Polyhedra

Wow great set of pieces!

7 Likes

Yes!!! That old thing!!! Gorgeous!!

8 Likes

I like the Rubik one too. It reminds me of Victor Vasarely’s work.

8 Likes

Which one is the rubik looking one?

5 Likes

14 Likes

Optical illusion! That’s a rhombic triacontahedron.

The colors make it look very cubey, but it’s not. It’s a ball.

Speaking of ball, it’s worth mentioning that the very first thing that comes to mind when you pick up any of these is:

THROW ME

Intrusive thoughts haven’t won… yet. But man these things would fly.

18 Likes

Wowza. It’s a fleet.

10 Likes

Love all of these! And the banter! :rofl:

5 Likes

Must resist. Must resist.

9 Likes

What a beautiful collectin of assorted polyhedra; you must be very proud @evansd2 !

6 Likes

Could you dumb it down for those of us who are not @Purplie? Maybe some visuals?

Thanks, and I understand if you pass.

7 Likes

Surely, one of them is named Gimli.

10 Likes

The cats are ready…throw it!

I love that easter egg.

6 Likes

This is how you can tell I have dogs and not cats. I love cats, just don’t have any, so things like this can go on shelves without fear. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Pass on visuals, because I didn’t take any during the process. But basically the smooth surfaces are just cardstock that has been glued to the wood. These creatures are comprised of outer faces (the visible surfaces) and an internal structure to attach them to. Making the smooth colorful faces as in the easter egg is a multistep process; the order you have to do it is:

1. cut the small tab holes in the face
  2. remove the wood from the glowforge and glue cardstock to it (covering the holes you just cut)
  3. replace the wood in the glowforge and cut the overall face outline.

Then you have a nice face ready to be used but the surface is a smooth piece of cardstock with no visible tab holes. I do these in batches or grids, so in reality I am cutting hundreds of faces in this process.

The rest of the detail was just about specifics about getting precise alignment. protecting surfaces with masking, etc.

9 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. There is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

Using @geek2nurse Icosahedron base

https://community.glowforge.com/t/icosahedron/33827

I made a Dymaxion Icosahedron World Map, covering it with engraved veneer which was cut scaled 105% to cover the joints.

21 Likes

Wow, that is really cool. I like that!

7 Likes

That looks great with the hidden tabs. Mine from 2018 used a more complicated connection method and had visible tabs, yours is definitely an improvement.

How did you arrive at the 105% scaling coefficient? Did you eyeball it or use software or straight up law of sines or what?

13 Likes

I confess that I eyeballed it, and it came close enough.
If I were to make another one, I would probably increase it a little more to close the joints.

For sitting under sunlight the glue on the veneer is lifting up on the edges. I should probably give it some maintenance.

11 Likes

Sigh. Hangs head and trails out the door…

6 Likes