Attaching and cutting photos

i was explicitly referring to the C-C double bond for (probably too much) simplicity’s sake, but yes.

Mod Podge® – Gluing photos to stuff since the 1960s. :smiley:

3 Likes

I’d thought about that also - it’d be super easy to make a gluing jig. But, (always a but, right?) I was thinking maybe he wanted shapes cut out. Like a star, or circle, or whatever… but typing made me realize just make a vector shape, cut your wood, cut your photo, drop the wood in the jig, spray it, and drop your cut photo on top in the jig. Roll it smooth.

1 Like

For several of my use cases yes, for one of them, only if you have the patience of Job.

2 Likes

And I don’t have that kind of patience, so I had better pay attention to what you’re doing. ha ha

3M & Loctite are the two gorillas in the space. I use both interchangeably depending on what’s on sale or in stock when I need it.

2 Likes

I just purchased this masking. $9.99 standard shipping, but had a $5.00 off coupon. $18 shipped for 6" x 100 yd.

5 Likes

I would recommend some research if you have any concern about archival characteristics. (Namely, Mod Podge almost assuredly is NOT archival, and will not stand prolonged exposure to sunlight.) I’ve used Super77 and it is very effective, but again, I would hazard a guess that it isn’t archival in the long term.

Now, you may not care about whether it is archival. Hell, for all I know your photos might be from a Dye-based inkjet printer in which case they’ll be toast in 1-3 months if exposed to light, anyway.

But I have experience doing collage artwork on varying surfaces and I use Acrylic Medium, Glossy or Matte depending on that artwork’s needs. Here’s the trick if you do use it, apply layer to backer, apply layer to back of Photo, stick together. Then use a brush to add layer to the top and squeeze the backer to the photo until its flat and no bubbles are underneath. This way you’ve encapsulated the photo in an archival acrylic medium.

Now my question, how does it laser? I would love to know, and will try this out when my Glowforge arrives. But Mod-Podge is a crafting tool, I would never use it for a project that I want to last more than a couple years.

8 Likes

Yeah, now that you say that, I think it was Loctite that I used, rather than 3M.

1 Like

I prefer Alene’s decoupage over mod podge. It is sometimes difficult to get modpodge to dry without being sticky. Alene’s dries with a hard clear covering. Much higher quality.

I also prefer to preserve photo/wood projects in uv resistant resins like alumilite.

5 Likes

markevans36301’s work here with photos mounted onto wood reminded me of something I was trying with photos before I got my PRU, and has inspired me to try a few things again, but now in conjunction with the GF. Does anyone know if these would be safe to laser?

I have several of them I could use to experiment…and it seems they would be safe, but I’m not certain.

2 Likes

should be. looks like it’s just canvas and an acrylic gesso.

3 Likes

I don’t know why I had not thought of alumilite, that would definitely be the way to go for some projects. I wonder how it would lase? Urethane should be safe but I wonder how a thin coat would cut?

1 Like

Yep! I’ve done it and it works great. I thought I had posted it but can’t find it. In any case the settings would no longer be applicable so you’ll have to experiment. Also, they are usually more than 1/2" thick so you will have to remove the crumb tray and prop it up to over 1.4" total. But it did cut beautifully and you could do some very nice wall hangings that way (my Pinterest board is full of them).

2 Likes

:+1:t2: :slightly_smiling_face: You may be thinking of canvas stretched on a small frame? These are only 1/8" thick. I think I remember now…@smcgatheyfay did some things with canvases.

1 Like

This one??
https://community.glowforge.com/t/attempt-2-laser-cut-canvas-success/3399?u=smcgathyfay&source_topic_id=9467

5 Likes

Yes, you’re right–mine was on a small frame. I think yours should work though–just sacrifice one getting the settings right.

3 Likes

That’s the one! Thank you

1 Like

Yes…I’ll test things out. Got plenty of them…for just such a reason. They only cost about $1 apiece.

1 Like