Attempt #2 Laser cut canvas..success!

Looks great!
Thank you for the build demo!

4 Likes

I love it! Thanks for the nice “how to”. I am going to stock up on LEDs and power supplies…maybe some color changing ones too…yeah! - Rich

6 Likes

Is your source your light strips still AliExpress? I tried to order from Adafruit and there was no way I could get my shipping address accepted. I have to have a PO Box and a physical address to keep in sync with credit card. Since we don’t have have local delivery to the church and I don’t get mail or deliveries at the house, it’s a Catch-22.

So AliExpress is good? Never ordered from them. Hate to add one more online resource.

Anyone use Amazon?

3 Likes

I get mine from eBay. No issues.

5 Likes

AliExpress, Banggood or ebay. Amazon has some too. Prices are coming down some

6 Likes

Third for ebay. I’ve bought a bunch and never had any problems, although some times shipping times were slower than I would’ve liked.

4 Likes

been in that situation before. I feel for you.

1 Like

beautiful and inspiring!

3 Likes

Great work!

3 Likes

If you want it to seal to the wall better, you can use foam tape similar to this stuff - link to uLine

3 Likes

I think she wanted the opposite. Using standoffs so you get the backlit glow out the edges… Either way it looks beautiful.

4 Likes

These are analog LED strips, not individually addressable?

I’m starting from scratch here. I have worked with individual LED bulbs but not strips yet. Thanks for your help!

I’m checking out a few Instructables.

5 Likes

Yes, just plain old LED strips…they come in a roll of usually 5 meters. These are 12v and I have 12v adapters for them. Just cut off what length you need and attach the plug.

12 Likes

Maybe you can also use a 12v Battery (A23) or 8 AA Batteries using a holder

A23
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Energizer-A23-12-Volt-Alkaline-Battery-2-Pack-A23BPZ-2/202844326

Holders
https://www.oznium.com/12v-led-battery-holder

or even this controller
http://www.ledsupply.com/blog/the-search-for-a-battery-powered-led-strip/

15 Likes

How wonderful that turned out. Thanks for sharing your process!

5 Likes

I have several reels of LED light strips that I purchased a few years ago for an outdoor lighting ‘experiment’. When I decided to buy a Glowforge and then saw how LED lighting could be used, I was delighted to know that I still have them. I also found where I could buy the adapters & plugs and bookmarked it for a future purchase. After I actually learn how to use the Glowforge, I will be excited to try out some lighting projects. I also looked up a tutorial video of how to attach everything. It will be great fun!

10 Likes

That came out amazing.

4 Likes

So cool! I’m so Jealous of your beautiful and creative ideas!

1 Like

Happy Cakeday @zerbyte75!

3 Likes

Thanks. I have been saving all kinds of wall warts and power adapters over the years. I have plenty of 5 volt units and am not looking to do big space illumination, just small projects. Will have to look a bit more and see what all I have or need.

5 Likes