Attempting to make a delrin stamp for a leather badge

Is there a minimum time or is overnight about the only option?
JSM

Haven’t the foggiest. I did it overnight because that’s the time I was working on it. I’m sure it could be done in less, especially with an actual press, but it was simpler for me to do it last and then deal with it in the morning :slight_smile:

If you test and come up with times you should definitely share that with the forum!

2 Likes

I plan to :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, the first stamp is done. Used a Harbor Freight 6 ton press ($79) and left the stamp for 8 hours. It now has to dry so I’ll take more pictures once that happens. I can see what may be some of the texture from the recessed areas of the stamp, but I can’t say for sure as the sample piece itself had blemishes that looked like scratches in it as well. I think it’s just that. Either way I am happy with the detail.
JSM

6 Likes

Oh man, that look brilliant! I think the little scratches work with the design, but with just a bit of cleanup to remove the worst background ridges, it looks like you could get a really clean version.

1 Like

i guess this is part of why i didn’t have much success, i never left it that long. but my HF press won’t “lock” (unless i can jerry rig something). now i’m going to have to think about how to jerry rig it.

ok, nm. i found where it’s supposed to lock. something to play with this weekend.

3 Likes

Same with me. Now, I foresee another lesson in patience awaiting me when I try this again.

3 Likes

i basically see it as a “set it overnight” thing. just clamp it down before going to bed and check it out in the AM.

3 Likes

Only us pedantic makers would see anything wrong with that.

Have to remind myself every time I’m picking faults at something I’ve made. The general public just goes “oh how freaking cool!”

(Literally had that happen with a piece I’d made for, and gave to, my daughter at a sushi place one evening. Every server and even the chef had to come check it out. Meanwhile I was biting my tongue because of obvious-to-me boo-boos…)

4 Likes

Of course, you’re right. Easy peasy.

1 Like

A couple of other test runs. I’ll say there are still tiny flaws, but nothing I can’t live with. The Rockabilly badge was a tough one to sort out. My intent was to outline the pin up girl but instead engraved the insides of the figure. It looks opposite of the way the rest of the badge looks (like the Rockabilly text and her body are competing) and now the car and the girl look out of place. I’ll adjust on the next attempt.

By the way these are only 6-7 hours 6 ton presses on wet leather. I am considering trying some shorter runs which I can get initial pictures for, but will have to let them sit probably close to a week to see if they look detail over that time. I’ll keep you posted.
JSM

7 Likes

Wow…I can’t believe how clean and detailed your stamp is. You said you had some flaws, but all I see is a beautiful impression.

3 Likes

Thank you for that compliment. I think the real work is in the graphics themselves. The cleaner you make them, the better ANYTHING will turn out. I’ll keep you guys posted on my results.
JSM

3 Likes

:glowforge: just released a leather stamp tutorial and per them you need a minimum of two hours using a screw clamp - and I’m betting they tested :smiley:

2 Likes

Where’s that tutorial?

the link for it came in an email this afternoon.

but honestly, i clicked on the link just now and it takes me to an empty GFUI screen. so there may be some issues (either for me or in general).

Yeah it was a little weird. I had to be logged in and have my GUI running. Then clicked the link and it opened in the GUI. Nice tutorial but very rudimentary. Every stamp looks like they will be square shaped regardless of what your intentions are. Hopefully the add some detail to the stamp feature. It could be a fun thing for most. My new Delrin will be in today so I plan on posting some more stamps I make over the next week. Stay tuned.
JSM

i’m logged in and had the GFUI open. still opened a new tab with a blank design open for me.

That’s odd. It is definitely a tutorial that opens in the GUI. Try opening to the page just before editing and image in the GUI, you know where you choose something existing or a new project. Then paste that link in a new tab and see if that activates it. It is the only tutorial I have seen by GF. I assume of they had more, they are stores or accessible from somewhere, but I would not know. You might ask them via support.
JSM

i tried clicking on it again, and it took me to the blank cutting screen.

but this time, when i clicked on the logo to go back to the dashboard, it loaded on top of the list of designs.

there’s def something funky going on with the link.