Augmented Hexagonal Antiprism Birdhouse - No Vacancy

Made this birdhouse a while back, but after moving to SC, finally got around to getting hung it up in the yard. Within a week, we have renters, so I thought I’d share. Couple of chickadees moved in! The cedar and wenge has weathered nicely, after enduring a couple Wisconsin winters.

Here is the original post about this birdhouse:
Augmented Hexagonal Antiprism Birdhouse

54 Likes

Nice!
How are you doing with the change in climate from Wis.? Experience a summer yet? Beautiful country, I love the moss in the trees but could do without the bugs.

11 Likes

I’m getting used to the heat, and don’t miss the snow!

10 Likes

That is just lovely! No bird has had a more beautiful place to call home. And, I love hearing the bird sounds in the video.

13 Likes

Yes, I loved the video, also! Your birdhouse looks like it’s part of nature. Really nice!

10 Likes

IYKYK…

7 Likes

Beautiful! Great place for the birds obviously. Great pics as well!

8 Likes

This is one of those posts where I feel like one “like” is just not enough!

Thanks for sharing these photos. Love your bird house design and the bird photos.

16 Likes

I love how the bird house weathered. I guess it is obvious now that you made a Carolina Chickadee house when you thought you were making a Black-Capped Chickadee house. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Congrats on the new tenants and the weathering looks great on their new home.

9 Likes

That’s just wonderful! Beautiful video, too.

7 Likes

I love everything about this. Beautiful and kind.

7 Likes

Definitely has your signature design style! So lovely - lucky birds.

6 Likes

We have a LOT of Carolina Chickadees around here. Wonder if bluebirds would use it too? Hmm…

4 Likes

It’s best to google the size requirements for each species. It’s surprising how picky birds are lol.

3 Likes

Yeah. Marc has made 3 bluebird houses, which are used every year. He also made a purple martin home, which is also used, but we have trouble keeping the house sparrows out of it, as even though the holes are the right size for the purple martins, they’re seasonal, whereas the sparrows are here year round. Marc put a cover on it to keep the sparrows out during the winter, and opens it when the purple martins are due to start arriving. Of course, the sparrows are the same size, so they also try to take over the bluebird boxes, but the bluebirds are more aggressive to protecting their nests. Plus the bluebirds aren’t bothered when Marc opens the door to check on them and make sure the sparrows haven’t built nests (and cleans out any sparrow nests that are there). It’s so fun watching the babies grow!

6 Likes

Yeah good for you. We have Starlings everywhere here. They take up residence year round as well and have scooped all the bird houses and trees in the neighborhood. I can’t bring myself to evict them so they basically have the run of the place. The only other birds we see nesting are Robbins and Crows who don’t seem to care about them.

3 Likes

Great job on this!

3 Likes

The Starlings come and go here, as well as crackles. I dislike them both.

3 Likes

Haha. Well I’m getting soft in my old age and I appreciate any kind of critters in my yard.

5 Likes