Aura engrave on tile

Proof of concept here, settings in the pics below.

Quick and dirty alignment trick, blue tape on the honeycomb…

Line it up and score the outline…

When the score is done, you place the tile right on the outline…

Setup the engrave. I guessed entirely at the settings.

Turn off the outline score.

Engrave! (an hour or so to go a 1.75" square image)

Better light to see the depth of the engrave…

Ink it up… (black sharpie)

Wipe off the excess, and call it done!

39 Likes

That is a pretty deep engrave.

12 Likes

Looks great. Glad to see this worked.

9 Likes

That turned out nice, even though it took a while. I like your “quick and dirty alignment trick.” That’s an easy way to make a jig for one-ofs.

16 Likes

This 100% works in the :glowforge: as well :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Beautiful work :slight_smile:

My brain 100% read this as “Wipe off the excess, and call it glowforge”!

11 Likes

Yup. I do that too for several things, especially when reusing cardboard templates/jigs or needing a quick couple of coasters.

11 Likes

Huh, I’ve always used waste cardboard for a raised jig, but this is precise enough!

14 Likes

This turned out nice. I like the depth of the engrave.

7 Likes

Good result for 1 pass. What kind of swarf did you get with that? Enough dust to notice? On travertine, I noticed a tendency for it to build up in the corners and fuse there, it had to be scraped out between runs.

5 Likes

Do you find the bed has the same dimness issue as the plus or pro?

4 Likes

Good to know! I thought it might, but hadn’t tried it. Thank you!

3 Likes

Dimness like in the UI photos? If so it’s not bad. The big difference is that it’s a single bright led in the middle, not strips. I’d imagine shadows might be a thing with larger items but I haven’t really noticed it with flat stock.

On the other hand it’s a small machine with a white interior so maybe the light will bounce around enough that shadows are filled to the point of being a non-issue?

5 Likes

A fair amount of swarf, but I was able to step outside and get it out with a nice dry paintbrush. Pretty typical from any tile engrave.

7 Likes

Learned another new word. Thanks.

6 Likes

Did you use a glazed tile or did you treat the tile with anything to help the Aura Laser work?

1 Like

Just a plain small glazed tile from home depot.

2 Likes