Aura - pattern from multiple to single sheet

I’ve bought a pattern, when I upload its all on the screen. I have an aura and want to cut a 11.5 layered cross with 9 layers total. what program or steps to get it so i can get it made?

Welcome to the forum!

So this is a pretty broad question. I’d have to see the design you bought to be sure.

In general, though, something this complex will require an external editor like Illustrator (expensive), Affinity (reasonably priced) or Inkscape (free).

The steps involved are pretty much impossible to say without seeing the file, but I will say this: overall what you’re asking is a fairly simple thing to do, if somewhat tedious… for someone who is practiced at this sort of thing. It’s the kind of thing that is potentially difficult to do as a first project in a vector editor.

Maybe provide some more details, we may be able to give more specific advice.

5 Likes

I have many designs in the catalog like that which can be done with an Aura but are labled as not so. As long as some complete parts will fit in the work area you can just put those parts within the work area and it will not bother any parts hanging over the work area border. After that you simply move the image in your screen so the parts that did not cut before are in the cutting area and cut those on a seperate sheet.

In my own work I put everything in the same file even if it covers several sheets, and just move the design around as needed.

5 Likes

If you mean that all 9 layers are showing up it’s likely the designer expected you to use a different machine, but if you can drag the layers you don’t want at the moment off the edge of the design area, you should be able to get to the one you need.
If they’re grouped so they all move together you can right click and ungroup.
Be aware that it will ungroup everything so if there are bits that belong to the one layer you may have to select them individually and right click to group.

You might also try writing to the designer and explaining that you can only do 12x12 at a time and if they’d separate out there layers for you.

5 Likes

If there are many pieces in several layers but all in one group. I never explode the grpup. A classic case is my Lamps that take up an entire 12x20 sheet with six actual parts, in perhaps 4 layers. I can cut and engrave and cut out the outside of four of them just by hanging the last two over the “no cut” line. and then move all of them together so only those two are in the cuttable area. And then cut those,

I do this routinely with designs that take more than one sheet and have been doing so for a very long time.

1 Like

Sure, if it’s designed well enough to do so. Who knows if it is.

1 Like

If the parts are not overla;pping that is always the case.

That’s a big if! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But immediately obvious

I actually cut this as a single image taking three sheets.
Except for the two stands at the top (cut sheet 3) it can be cut in an Aura.

2 Likes

Please read the OP.
It’s an 11.5" cross with 9 layers all of which are showing on their 12"x12" screen…it’s unlikely to not be overlapping.

3 Likes

If all fit in the Aura then it will just be a long cut, unless it is like my three layers all overlapping. In that case, it is just a matter of setting the unused layers to ignore and the others sorted similarly. Still no reason to break it apart if it is not already many parts.

Neither of us know what the file actually looks like. I offered options - as did you. The OP hasn’t responded so hopefully they found their answer. You kicking the dead horse that your option must be the right one isn’t helping anyone. We do not know.

1 Like

My issue was ungrouping everything. That can make a real mess, and is unnecessary.

ignore

I was trying to not go there. The designer had to make it work for them. so that is normally the worst case.

Ok. Sure. I’m 100% sure the designer made every part of every layer a different colour so each item could be ignored individually. Glad you know exactly what the file looks like.

Just be done. Seriously.

1 Like

Not different colors

1 Like

I played with it. ungrouped. Then copied and pasted as a step. We shall see. Thank you all for the help

1 Like

00187824.dxf (884 KB)

I opened it in Inkscape as I don’t have a CAD program. I noticed that none of the lines were connected to each other - which means that broken up it would be very hard to get all the pieces together. SO. I merged all the individual crosses, and made the interior pieces one colour, and the exterior a different one so you can set it so the interior cuts first.
I tilted it so you can get the 11.5" cross most easily onto your 12" bed. After you cut each piece (or the multiple copies of the piece to go in between all the others) you can select all and drag them so the next one you want to cut is in the right spot.
00187824_V2

Let me know if this works for you!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.