Aura project: Faux Ceramic Tiles

Been having lots of fun with my new Aura. I love the look of ceramic tiles and decided to reproduce the look, based on watercolor paper and resin. I like the mottled look of the watercolor.

The design is actually a dingbat from the København/Pictos font (it’s the capital letter C). I converted it to outlines and blew it up to about 3 inches square. The ceramic part was made by watercolor painting a Canson Watercolor Artboard. After cutting out the pieces, each piece was domed with 2-part epoxy resin, then the puzzle pieces were glued into a thin (1/16”) black acrylic outline. I made a box out of Medium cherry ply on my Glowforge, but all the tile pieces were cut on the Aura.

Painted Artboard:

Cut pieces:

Resin curing:

54 Likes

So gorgeous!! Glad that you are making good use of your Aura!

15 Likes

This is kind of genius! Love the look you achieved.

17 Likes

Interesting process with a terrific result!

17 Likes

Stunning work! Wow!!! I love these!

13 Likes

This really looks awesome.

11 Likes

These are really nice — I think I’m now finally motivated to learn how to use resin!

Has anybody tried the UV resins? They sound more convenient for small pieces.

13 Likes

I’ve tried UV resin, and while it looks great at first, it tends to delaminate over time depending on the substrate it’s coating. I’m never sure what treatment underneath is required to avoid that.

13 Likes

What lovely little boxes those made! Love the use of the different materials. For some reason I just never think about adding other materials to my projects. I really like that tiled look you achieved.

10 Likes

Brilliant!

8 Likes

Oh, that’s so nice! Great execution.

7 Likes

That turned out so well!

7 Likes

I like it @cynd11. The resin coat brings out an extra dimension for your beautiful art. Stunning!
What kind of resin is it? Polyurethane or epoxy?

13 Likes

Epoxy. Here is my favorite 2-part epoxy:

10 Likes

This is gorgeous! I think I will finally try to recreate a stained glass window from years ago. It’s so great to get an idea started up again.

11 Likes

Wonderful!

3 Likes

Has anybody tried the UV resins? They sound more convenient for small pieces.

That’s what I’ve been using - the grossly overpriced but convenient kit from Michaels. Soooper simple. Results are just ok, but could also be that I’m impatient and don’t mix the resin and colorant nearly as much as I should. But works for what I’m doing with it. ;-).

5 Likes

I use UV resin for small accents on hard surface objects quite a bit. It really adds a polished look. No delams so far.

7 Likes

Yeah, my failures were all where I tried to cover larger items, like the size of a coaster. Maybe size is part of the issue.

7 Likes

Same for me. I love it.

4 Likes