Autocad layers

I use Autocad to create some files, but haven’t figured out how to tell the glowforge to cut or engrave certain lines. If I leave all lines on one layer in the same color the glowforge wants to cut it all. How do I sets some lines to be cut and some engraved? I have tried different layers, but that doesn’t always work.

The UI sets up different operations based on line color.

2 Likes

It’s all about color, and not at all about layers.

100 layers of 1 color = 1 operation
1 layer of 100 colors = 100 operations

1 Like

Most folks bring the AutoCad DXF file into a drawing program like Illustrator or Inkscape and assign different stroke colors to the different Score and Cut operations there, before saving the file as an SVG format.

For Engraves, it’s also better to use Fills without strokes. That makes it clear how you want the interface to interpret the operation.

Little writeup that discusses it here:
Laser Design Basics

1 Like

It’s easy to separate your lines into layers in AutoCAD. I think layer management in CAD is faster than in other programs. Layers for cut, layers for score, layers for engrave. Make sure each layer in CAD has a unique color. Voila!

2 Likes

Thanks for the answers everyone. Assigning different colors creates different print steps. I’m going to close this thread - if there are other questions, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for asking about this!