AutoCAD to scale

Hi, I’m trying to draw and print from AutoCAD. I’ve tried saving as dxf but that isn’t uploading so I’ve exported it from AutoCAD but problem is it only saves as screen size and not to scale? Is there anyway I can save it and upload it to scale?

I’m not an AutoCAD user, but check out The Matrix – you’ll probably find what you need there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Export the DXF file, then open the DXF in Inkscape or other vector drawing program (Illustrator, Affinity Designer, CorelDRAW, etc.) and save an SVG file.

DXF files are generally fairly crusty and need at least some clean-up in order to work nicely.

4 Likes

Ok thanks I check that out :+1:

Ok il try that. But how do I get it to scale?
Thank you.

Inkscape will scale nicely though what comes in as dxf may be different. What goes out from inkscape will be the size that things get cut if you don’t do any scaling in the GFUI. (If you pick a side or corner the GFUI will scale rather than move, and it is very easy to mess that up when fine tuning the location on the work.)

2 Likes

Save as a PDF. The GFUI will import it as SVG and you should have everything to scale and ready to cut.

2 Likes

Oh right ok… that’s great thank you very much. :+1:

1 Like

Oh ok. Il try that thanks a lot.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Unfortunately, our team doesn’t have expertise in AutoCAD. I expect you could find a helpful tutorial in the Tips and Tricks area of the forum.

As others have mentioned already, if you create a file in vector design software like Inkscape, you can expect the scale to be maintained when you upload it to the Glowforge app.

Could you please let me know if the suggestions above helped?

1 Like

Hi, basically I’ve saved in AutoCAD dxf file and opened it in Inkscape then I’ve saved it again and opened it in GFUI which has solved the problem. Thank you.

1 Like

I’ve tried this and it’s worked thank you. Very helpful. :+1:

2 Likes

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!