Autofocus

I’m cutting a small scale fan frame sight edge(really) that is about 50 mm x 30mm, from wood veneer. I need to hold it down with a magnet placed in the middle of the cut area to prevent the fan assist from blowing it away.
But then the auto focus reads the height of the magnet (3.5mm high x 12mm diam) not the height of the veneer(0.5mm).
How do I prevent the auto focus taking over, having already submitted the correct height of the veneer, given the small space available ?

Could you use a sticky sheet for the veneer instead of the magnet possibly?
(Krylon Easy Tack on a piece of waste plywood for example)

If I modify your idea slightly, and try using a spray adhesive on possibly a glass sheet, that should be the way to go. Avoids adding the cost of another sheet of material if this should become a production item, and might be quicker in the long run.
So thanks for getting my brain going in a different direction.
John :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

You could just override autofocus. Enter the veneer material height (.5mm) and then set the focal height in the job/operation to .4mm, or .49mm. Whatever. As long as it’s just different from the material height.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll look at that as well.
EDIT
As the thread is closed, this seems to be the only way to say thanks to Dakota G for the additional info given below.
I’d no idea that all the additional features were now available, being off line for so long.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer @ jbmanning5 , that’s right. Alternatively, you can use Set Focus. The Set Focus target allows you to select an area to take a precision measurement of the material’s height using the red dot in the printer head. When you use Set Focus, place the focus area on the material so it’s not near an edge. Then watch to make sure the red dot hits the material.

I’m going to close this thread but if you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to open a new thread.

1 Like