Award Plaque Metal

Hello everyone!!! I’m new here and I’ve had my Glowforge for about a week. I am in love! There is so much I want to learn but this community can be a bit overwhelming trying to find all the answers I seek. Please forgive me if this has been asked before, I would not ask if I could find the answer here in the community. Do I need CerMark to engrave on metals like the ones that can be found on plaques? If not, what setting would you suggest?

2 Likes

If that is actual brass the odds are he will not Mark as shown. You have two choices, you can chemically treat it like with Clair Mark {sp} or you can substitute a piece that will work. They make nice Plastics that look just like that but engrave beautifully. Johnson plastics is your friend.

6 Likes

Thank you, I will visit them now.

I have used a lot of the 2-color acrylic from several sales locations. They all use the same brands, pretty much. Rowmark brand is my favorite, mostly because they make MANY color selections.
The Rose/Blk and Gold/Blk are ideal for things like plaques.
If it is stand alone (like earrings) then the 0.060 thickness works well.
If it is being mounted to a firm surface, then the 0.020 works fine (too flexible to be without support though) .
NOTE: Do not get dismayed by the Full Sheet costs. Drill down a little for the normal 12x24 sheet prices and just cut the extra off to fit in the Glowforge.

If you do try the 2-color acrylics, here are some ballpark numbers to get you started in the link below.

3 Likes