Azuma Bukuro Dice Bag

I thought a simple dice bag styled after a Japanese azuma bukuro bento/market bag would be fun. The fabric is 100% cotton sateen, custom-printed with one of my Celtic key pattern designs. I cut the fabric on the Glowforge using the new vacuum tray, which was great for the precision.

27 Likes

Great motivation to me to get back into sewing. I didn’t know you could have your own fabric printed. That’s a neat design.

8 Likes

Thanks! I have a couple Celtic key pattern designs and a spirals design printed in a couple colors each, now. I have mostly been making little bags with them so far. This stuff cuts great in the laser.

There are several fabric printing services. I have been using Spoonflower.

9 Likes

I found them! Nice that they have plenty of natural fibers & weights to choose from. All things considered, not bad pricing for bespoke fabric.

7 Likes

Does it untie easily though? I mean, when you’re not specifically trying to untie it, but if you’re carrying it around or something, do you have to be careful it doesn’t come untied?

Beautiful print!

6 Likes

I haven’t carried it around anywhere yet. I can throw it in my (bigger) bag and see how it fares.

It stays tied just tossing it around the workspace in the studio. The azuma bukuro design seems to hold pretty well with just the friction of the tie. I’ve made several larger azuma bukuro, including out of recycled kimono silk and, they generally seem to stay tied really well, even with slicker fabric than this cotton.

6 Likes

For bigger bags, you can add a handle or purse handle too besides typing the tops.

Not the same kind of bag, but the furoshiki bags i put together, the weight of the contents does tighten the knots and sometimes makes them difficult to loosen, but they are large knots, so eventually i get them apart.

7 Likes

I love this. I’ve never known the name of this bag style until i saw your post. Thank you. It’s been on my list of things to sew for at least a decade (list not getting any shorter), but i didn’t ƙnow it had a specific name.

8 Likes

You can also add a strap for a different sort of closure, like this one:

I periodically think about trying to make a messenger-style bag similar to this out of some nice denim I have.

7 Likes

I’ve got a leather handle my husband bought me for furoshiki purses, though i often just use knots because it’s quicker and i use the bags to carry a variety of items (still want to try the watermelon carry).

I also started creating handles to use with it because i thought it could be a fun. I have some extra material from my stash i need to use. Think I’ll make a big version of this azuma bukuro and see what i can make for it.

8 Likes

I’d love to see it if you come up with anything you like!

5 Likes
9 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: I read her comment with an entirely different interpretation, but now I get it. I guess because I’m coming from the background of struggling to untie my furoshiki bags :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

I had the same thought on the first sentence. :rofl:

3 Likes

That is so cool! Love the fabric pattern.

3 Likes

I just realized I might not had read the entire comment :rofl: :rofl: I had just woken up, my brain must’ve blipped over the rest.

2 Likes

Love the print! The bag is adorable!

I tend to do a simple bag, adding a drawstring with cord lock. This would be a fun alternative.

4 Likes

Okay, I’m sold! I’ll have to find a pattern and make me one, or two or more!

1 Like

They are pretty simple to make. It’s a rectangle 3 times long as it is wide. There is a little bit of cleverness in how you sew it but, it’s basically two short, straight seams. There have to be diagrams and YT videos floating around showing that.

(I think there are other ways to do it with triangular pieces but, the rectangle version is simple.)

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll give this a try. :slight_smile:

1 Like